• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hair Loss

Since late childhood/ early teens I have seemed to lose far more hair than other girls/ women- when brushing, washing, or just generally. This is also when I believe I first had mild symptoms of ME/CFS, although it was not diagnosed for many years. It comes out in many strands, rather than clumps, and I have no bald patches although my hair is thin compared to most people's. Whenever I vacuum the carpet (at least once a week) I end up with bundles of hair (yuck) that the vacuum doesn't pick up, which presumably I have moulted without even noticing. Looking at this, week after week, I am amazed that I'm not bald.

I have had all the usual tests with my GP (thyroid, iron etc), they were all normal.

I have recently been trying various treatments, including antibiotics, LDN and various mitochondria supplements, and have seen big improvements in health generally, but the hair loss remains. However I did notice an abatement when taking methyl b12 (sublingual) a couple of months ago. May be coincidence, but I am ordering some more as soon as I get paid, to experiment.

Has anyone else experienced hair loss, and did you find the cause or a solution?

leaves

yes but not so much as you. Low fast carbs, sufficient protein, no coffee and high dose biotin all seemed to work.

sela

yes, lately. i read a while back about a product for it. i don't remember what it is but i wrote down what is in it. biotin, pantothenic acid, zinc . when i started taking a lot of biotin it helped immediately. i get the biotin from purebulk.com. i take half a teaspoon of biotin.

Athene

ihateticks.me
Yes, biotin and zinc have definitely helped me. Beware of taking too much biotin, you can overdose, check the max amount.

I think these both reinforced the root and prevent massive fallout. I am now looking into amino acids as I think hair is made of protein adn this may help thicken hair. Mine doesn't fall out too much these days but it is still really thin.

Martlet

Thin hair here too. My dermatologist did a serum ferritin test, which measures the body's ability to store iron, rather than the circulating iron itself, which was always normal. My ferritin was very low. It has taken two years to raise it to low normal - enough to sustain hair but not to actively grow it - so it's a long haul. The best I can say is that I'm no longer losing.

serenity

this is driving me crazy lately & i am going to see a dermatologist next week. i know it's from a medication, Lexapro i believe. my doc is unconcerned, but for me hair loss will not do.

Martlet

this is driving me crazy lately & i am going to see a dermatologist next week. i know it's from a medication, Lexapro i believe. my doc is unconcerned, but for me hair loss will not do.

I think a dermatologist is your best bet. My doctor was not concerned but it's part of a dermatologist's job. I hope you get some resolution to it. It's very dispiriting for a woman.

wciarci

Wenderella
Yes, I used to have lots of hair, eyebrows, eyelashes. I lost most. Biotin has helped somewhat, my eyebrows are better, still no eyelashes and I shave my pits and legs only twice a month. No doctor listens to me. I used to be called the lion, because of my mane, oh well, there are lots of cute short hair cuts!

Wendy

serenity

thanks Martlet yes i finally figured out - a dermatoglogist has to listen! haha! so off i go to see one ...

Tammie

yep, hair loss here, too......and sadly nothing has helped, but since I don't absorb nutrients very well, and have been having a ton of stomach issues, supplementing does not seem to fix the problem....I also have dandruff that only started a few yrs into being sick....never had either issue previously...and even the texture of my hair has changed

short hair doesn't help me either - can still see that my hair is thinner, and I have cowlicks that make it lay down weird (and no energy to try to fight them)

Athene

ihateticks.me
Yes, same here please. I'd like to know if it's worth forking out the money to get some more locks on my head...!

sela

martlet, i would like to know about the ferritin. what was your level? and how did you get it up? it is so confusing, some say taking iron is very bad for you. what to do?
hmm, so ferritin has to do with hair.