1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 1 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. Part 1 of a 2-part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS. Part 1 focuses...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Hair color and cuts

Discussion in 'Lifestyle Management' started by Carrigon, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    Neat, Sasha.:Retro smile:

Let us know how it turns out.
  2. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Senior Member

I understand Carrigon. I am a blonde girl too and to not have it blonde would really mean I am not "me" anymore. I still go get my hair done and yes, the chemicals kill me. I guess I am that vain to not let it stop me. I know there will be a day where I can't do that anymore.

I have no words of wisdom. I just understand is what I am trying to say. When I try and do my hair myself, I look like a skunk. So....at least you can still do it at home and it turns out well. My one friend shaved off all of her hair, that is how she deals with it financially. Drastic, but it works for her.
  3. Tammie

Tammie Senior Member

Woodridge, IL
    I stopped coloring my hair a long time ago, and it didn't really bother me bc I had never intended to keep it blonde - I just like to play around with what it looks like.....it did bother me, though, in that I did it bc of CSF related financial issues and so I felt like I had no choice in the matter....now there is also no way my MCS would allow coloring

that said, my hair has changed a lot since getting sick and that really bothers me, so I can relate in a way

so far I have developed dandruff (& NOTHING will get rid of it - some thigns make it better, but never gone), lost a lot of hair (was losing handful last summer - stopped losing it for awhile and am now losing it again but not as much as before), and had the texture change a lot

my hair was really long when I got sick, but after losing so much of it, the length was making it really obvious, so I got it cut

.....would have loved to get it really short, but if I have it short w/o bangs, it gets in my eyes and drives me nuts.....if I go with bangs, I wind up with major cowlicks and it is a real pain and more work than I have energy for to get it to lay down.....and regardless of the style, short hair on me always lays down funny if I lay down on it for any length of time (& well, with CFS when do I not lay down a lot?!)

......so at this point, it is shoulder lenght and just kind of hangs there - it looks sort of ok, but definitely much thinner than it used to be, and the style is nothign great and I am really bored/bummed with it......have no idea waht to try, though, bc the texture is so differnt I have no idea how it would turn out if I tried somethng else....and I don't have the money to go somewhere good to see if they have any ideas - don't trust the cheap places for more than a trim, and cannot do my own anymore (too exhausted, OI issues, and too much pain trying to see the back)
  4. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    Tammie,

My naturopath told me that dandruff can be a sign of needing omega 3 essential fatty acids. Any kind of skin condition like flakiness or dryness can be.

Also that hair loss can either be a sign of needing more protein or omega 3 fatty acids.

I had alot of hair falling out 8 yrs ago. ALOT of it falling out. Not enough to look thin but I left a trail of it everywhere. I went on a low carb diet about 6 months after this problem began and the hair loss stopped after I'd been low carb for 3 months or so. (I've read that it takes 2 -3 months for the hair to stop falling out once the deficiency is treated.) I didn't know about the connection between hair loss and protein at the time. Just a lucky bonus.

Last fall I'd had to pull way back on eating low carb -- couldn't afford the amount of meat I needed and was stuck with eating a lot of bread, etc. for several months. My hair started falling out again.:eek: That's when I asked my naturopath about this. She got me on some protein powder supplements and I borrowed some money in order to be able to eat properly again for awhile.

Also, got some omega 3 oil again -- I'd run out and hadn't been able to get more for a month or two. So I got both of these things back into my diet again. Hair loss has slowed way down, and I am almost back to normal once again.
  5. creekfeet

creekfeet Sockfeet

Eastern High Sierra
    I like my grey hair. I had always looked forward to going grey and wondered what pattern mine would take. I don't have much; just a few strands all around and one patch at the temples. It's distinguished.

I do like henna however because it's a fantastic conditioner. I might use some neutral henna---it doesn't change the color but does make hair healthier and glossier.

Losing hair a bit more than I like since getting sick... not going bald or anything near it but when I brush or comb I'm always a bit startled at the amount of hair coming out. Plus I crave a ton of protein so that connection makes sense. I think calcium is supposed to help, too.
  6. Tammie

Tammie Senior Member

Woodridge, IL
    Jody,

I was actually consuming quite a bit of protein and omega 3 oil when all this started, but given that my body seems to do weird things with a lot of nutrients, it's entirely possible that I was still deficient. However, at this point, my stomach will only let me eat a very few foods and keep them down. If I tried to do low carb, I would be stuck eating egg whites and a few varieties of nuts and that's about it. So, as much as I appreciate the response, and I am glad that it has helped you, I can't really do anything about changing my diet at this point. I really, really wish I could. I am so bored with what I am eating, it is not a balanced diet, and I am just craving fish and veggies, cheese, etc so much.
  7. gracenote

gracenote All shall be well . . .

Santa Rosa, CA
    I was losing excessive hair for many months and a doctor suggested I add liquid minerals to my water and also try BioSil. I added both and my hair loss stopped. I stopped the BioSil after a couple of months, but kept up the minerals. The minerals actually make my water taste better, so I like adding them. The brand I use is ConcenTrace Trace Mineral Drops. I really think the minerals made the difference.
  8. Tammie

Tammie Senior Member

Woodridge, IL
    gracenotes, I think I will have to try the minerals, esp since I am getting really bored with plain water
  9. gracenote

Santa Rosa, CA
    Tammie,

The minerals don't add any "flavor" to the water. The water just "tastes" better to me and somehow seems easier to drink. I don't really know how else to explain it. I started adding minerals to my water years ago when I was using a water distiller as the distillation process takes everything out. I found that other purified waters also tasted better with minerals added. I stopped adding minerals when the store I was buying them from stopped carrying them, so it had been a few years without them.
  10. Tammie

Tammie Senior Member

Woodridge, IL
    gracenote, better tasting still sounds good, though flavored would be wonderful
  11. gracenote

Santa Rosa, CA
    I was going through some of my old doctor notes (old notes, not old doctor), and realized that at that time I also added in a Myer's IV with added amino acids, and also went through a bottle of amino acid supplements. My hair loss may have stopped due to everything I was doing at the time and not just the added minerals. The only thing I continue to do is the minerals and I haven't been losing hair but I can't say for sure why. I hope I haven't confused anyone.

See more popular forum discussions.