• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Had to call an ambulance because potassium got so low...

Sparrow

I haven't noticed water retention when my potassium is low. Of course, I haven't yet been able to identify any symptoms of it before it gets to the "stabbing me with an ice pick" stage. Still looking... :rolleyes:

I haven't noticed water retention when my potassium is low. Of course, I haven't yet been able to identify any symptoms of it before it gets to the "stabbing me with an ice pick" stage. Still looking... :rolleyes:

Really? It feels like an ice pick? I have the VDR genetic defect and to me the tension from that is the same as from potassium deficiency. I often have tension and potassium doesnt always make it go away - I need K,Ca,Mg,D to do the job. I am not at all sure I can tell the difference between these deficiencies myself. No pain for me, just stiffness...rigidity...I could see how it causes some paralysis.

OMG, sparrow! I felt the ice pick! And like you, no rigidity went with it. I was trying to figure out why such weird things happen to me when I remembered I had had a low blood sugar attack earlier and they make you lose about 1800mg potassium! Luckily I was where food was handy and the shooting pain went down my leg only 1 time.

But OMG! I have low blood sugar attacks often. It is a lifelong thing with me - which I am so used to that sometimes when I am not near a food source I just grit my teeth through it. I never thought it was dangerous before! Since I get low blood sugar often, now I'm scared of this protocol!

Rydra