The Real ME: A Stock Photography Resource for the Media
We’ve all seen them in the news stories about ME/CFS: the guy in a suit at the office, yawning; the beautiful woman sitting at her desk with her immaculate make-up and elegantly coiffed hair, hand to her head and looking slightly pained.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Guy self-injects a DIY experimental gene therapy for HIV

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by undiagnosed, Oct 19, 2017.

1. undiagnosed

undiagnosed Senior Member

United States
    https://gizmodo.com/this-guy-just-injected-himself-with-a-diy-hiv-treatment-1819659724

Thought this was interesting. Obviously there is no shortage of concerns with things that could go wrong, but it's cool that something like this can be done on such a small scale. Also, there was some skepticism in the comments that the gene delivery method would even work in principle, but I'm not knowledgeable enough on the subject to know.

lauluce and pattismith like this.
  2. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    Wow. I'm rooting for the guy. I'm no better placed that you, undiagnosed, to have a clue if it could work, but I hope it does.

It might seem cray to some people, but after nearly two decades of illness I wouldn't need much persuading to do something similar.

lauluce and Webdog like this.
  3. keenly

keenly Senior Member

UK
    House of Numbers documentary.

4. lauluce

lauluce as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope

argentina
    brave guy! good for him

5. rodgergrummidge

rodgergrummidge Senior Member

This is an interesting example and probably worth discussing more.

Can anyone explain to me why someone self-injecting with a DIY gene therapy should be applauded? Why dont we immediately recognize this as just another of the many many examples flooding the internet where pseudoscience is used to exploit vulnerable people (even an Immunology 101 student would know that the DIY guy has no biological or medical concept of what he is actually doing to himself). Why are people so willing to reject science, reject evidence-based approaches, reject clinical knowledge and even reject the most basic biological understanding medicine?

Rodger

6. undiagnosed

undiagnosed Senior Member

United States
    @rodgergrummidge, in this case, since there are effective and less risky treatments I agree that it is unwise. What I find cool is that this sort of biohacking (even if flawed) can be done with such little resources.

See more popular forum discussions.