1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Pathway to Prevention (P2P) for ME/CFS: A Dangerous Process
Gabby Klein gives an overview of the P2P process, shedding light on the pitfalls with advice as to what we can do in protest ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Gut poll

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by cigana, Jul 1, 2012.

?

Were gut symptoms your first symptom?

1. Yes, they came before most of my other symptoms

42.9%
  2. They came at around the same time as my other symptoms

25.7%
  3. They came after my other syptoms

28.6%
  4. I don't have any gut symptoms

2.9%
  1. cigana

cigana Senior Member

UK
    I'm interested in how much the gut originally contributes to the pathogenesis of this disease

MeSci likes this.
  2. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Thing is, no gut symptoms doesn't mean no gut problems. :confused: I had to check no symptoms but good gut tests show a lot of gut problems. You can have dysbiosis, infections etc. without symptoms. Who knows how long the problems have been there--I wouldn't have known about them without testing.

Sushi

MeSci and Enid like this.
  3. Aileen

Aileen Senior Member

Canada
    Well now, I'm not sure how to answer this. The gut problems I've had post-illness came on after other symptoms however, I have had a chronic constipation problem since infancy. The type of gut issues just changed after I got M.E.

4. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    I would think though that most people who would be attracted to this poll are people who have problems with this issue.

Hanna likes this.
  5. cigana

cigana Senior Member

UK
    I agree, it's the problem with all polls on this site, but at least we get an idea of what percentage had them as their first symptom (as opposed to later on).

6. cigana

cigana Senior Member

UK
    Hi Aileen, I would say that your gut symptom came first, in that case, since I would class chronic constipation as a symptom for sure. CHeers.

7. cigana

cigana Senior Member

UK
    Yes, interesting isn't it! I often wonder if dysbiosis is the single unifying factor in all of us (not saying it is definitely the cause). A prominent CFS doctor told me virtually all of his patients had gut symptoms first.

8. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Must add that although I've polled "after" I should mention that any problem only really became noticeable then - vertigos came sometime before what seemed like motility issues.

9. Sparrow

Sparrow Senior Member

Canada
    I had no sign at all of gut problems before that initial sudden post-viral drop.

But they definitely appeared in force before this most recent, more gradual plummet.

10. Patrick*

Patrick* Formerly PWCalvin

California
    Mine came on with all my other symptoms during the initial post viral drop, but they went away when I switched to a paleo-type diet. That's not to say they won't return, but they're gone for now.

11. mellster

mellster Marco

San Francisco
    I certainly had gut symptoms first, for one and a half years.

12. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    I'd like to see more responses to this so am bumping it up.

13. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    What about your other symptoms - have they improved too?

14. Patrick*

Patrick* Formerly PWCalvin

California
    My other symptoms have improved too, but it's impossible to tell how much of that is due to diet, as opposed to supplements, Rx's, time, etc.

MeSci likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.