Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Gut killers

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by cman89, Oct 21, 2014.

1. cman89

cman89 Senior Member

Hayden, Idaho
    Aside from having a cruddy diet(sugar, wheat, etc...) and perscription meds, what are some substances that can majorly screw up gut flora? Mostly looking at stuff that would otherwise be considered healthy or at least mostly beneficial that would not be the greatest for your intestinal flora? Coffee, garlic, etc... are question marks for me

2. Sherlock

Sherlock tart cherry etc. for joints, insomnia

Czechosherlockia, USA
    Not affecting flora per se, but instead leaky gut which is the primary end target for improvement anyway:

1. Black pepper can produce increased gut permeability. AFAIK that's why piperine enhances absorption of turmeric, etc. White pepper even slightly more so.
    2. Vigorous exercise, especially on hot days, can raise gut temp a lot and affect shock proteins.
    3. NSAIDS
    I don't believe that garlic does any harm.

See more popular forum discussions.