• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Gut Inflammation and Hormones/NTs

xks201

Hormones and neurotransmitters like serotonin and dopamine are all present in the gut. My theory is... if the gut is inflamed, the signals, or even the existence of these things is greatly compromised. We know hormones are excreted in feces. I would think that in a state of inflammation that the turnover rate of these hormones and neurotransmitters would have to increase until a state of depletion was reached. I read a study of a tricyclic antidepressant helping with inflammation. Just a theory.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Makes a lot of sense. They say the way St John´s Wort work its related to normalizing gut nerves and therefore normalizing serotonine. And I would add that inflammation in the gut will escalate progressively to general inflammation including brain which its what I have read could be causing CFS in some people.