• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Gut floral diversity and bowel cancer

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
In Physician's First Watch yesterday:

Colorectal Cancer Associated with Decreased Variety in Gut Microbiota
By Joe Elia

Patients with colorectal cancer have a narrower range of fecal bacteria, according to a study in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute. Editorialists express enthusiasm for the results, but caution that "a lot more research" is needed before the findings can be used clinically.

Researchers analyzed bacterial DNA from fecal samples that were collected roughly 25 years ago in a case-control study of patients with colorectal cancer; the controls were patients undergoing elective surgery. Fecal samples were collected after confirmation of the diagnosis, but before therapy.

Patients with cancer had decreased overall diversity of bacteria in their gut relative to the controls. For example, they had a lower relative abundance of Clostridia species, but an increased presence of Fusobacterium.

The editorialists write that the "exciting" findings echo similar observations that have suggested a role for the microbiota in colorectal cancer.

Link(s):
JNCI article (Free abstract) http://click.jwatch.org/cts/click?q=227;67929578;sALcKx+JWD2k26Rsw91qBy+/FKSeHQI/wATbj7TbdSI=
JNCI editorial (Free) http://click.jwatch.org/cts/click?q=227;67929578;sALcKx+JWD2k26Rsw91qB2UWPLVnowNswATbj7TbdSI=

Plum

Thanks for posting this. It raises the question - how do you supplement with as broad a range of strains as possible? Which supplements to take and how often to get the fullest range of beneficial bacteria?

JT1024

For those who have been on many antibiotics over the course of a lifetime, I wonder what the best treatment is. I have read about fecal transplant via capsule but it is far from mainstream medicine at this point.

I take probiotics in several forms but I know (from working in a clinical microbiology lab) that many bugs (bacteria) that are considered normal flora are NOT provided in most supplements.

xchocoholic

I'm tired so i hope I'm remembering thus correctly. s boulardi comes from the outside of the leechi ? fruit. Definitely some fruit tho.

Doesn't this mean our best sources of good bacteria and yeast comes from eating organic fresh fruits and veggies ?

I feel better from eating rare beef but assumed it was from the blood. Cooked beef doesn't energize me like raw. It sounds grose when I say it .... x

MeSci

Bowel cancer is something I am acutely aware of as both my father and his sister had it (successfully treated in both cases). My father also had rheumatoid arthritis, which appears to have links with ME, not least the autoimmune involvement.

I am trusting to my version of the leaky-gut diet as detailed in my profile.

The gut flora is so biodiverse that I personally doubt whether probiotics can be relied on - we just don't know everything that is in the gut and what is good and what is bad.

Giving the gut the diet that suits it seems the best approach to me. One problem with faecal transplants is that you are getting someone else's gut flora, which may not suit your own genotype/phenotype.

Plum

@MeSci I have colon and stomach cancer in my family. It killed 2 grandparents.

I do agree about probiotics (have started a post to see what sorts people find useful). But it does seem difficult as they all tend to be similar strains. I did listen to some research recently about how feeding our bacteria is best with organic veges, but I do worry about how to get back lost strains of beneficial ones.

My diet is very similar to yours although I don't eat as much veg as I'd like to due to severe gastritis at the moment.

I don't know if yr aware of the link between preservatives like nitrates in bacon etc being linked to increase risk of bowel cancer?

MeSci

@MeSci I have colon and stomach cancer in my family. It killed 2 grandparents.

I do agree about probiotics (have started a post to see what sorts people find useful). But it does seem difficult as they all tend to be similar strains. I did listen to some research recently about how feeding our bacteria is best with organic veges, but I do worry about how to get back lost strains of beneficial ones.

My diet is very similar to yours although I don't eat as much veg as I'd like to due to severe gastritis at the moment.

I don't know if yr aware of the link between preservatives like nitrates in bacon etc being linked to increase risk of bowel cancer?

As we know so little about the diverse range of gut flora generally, and as we don't usually know much about our own until it goes wrong, and as gut flora change with age and environmental factors, we cannot currently know what our own ideal balance is, so trying to restore a previous exact balance through probiotics, faecal transplant, etc., is in my view futile. We may be able to improve it to some extent, and I know that some people have reported good results. I have had no success with probiotics in the past, but my current diet and supplements have improved my bowel function and numerous other symptoms a great deal, so for now at least I'm happy to accept that as evidence that I've reduced my risk of a range of conditions.

Everything is covered with microorganisms (not a welcome thought for people with 'germ phobias'!) so we will be taking these in all the time, and hopefully if we just treat our guts well they will find a good balance again.

Yes, I know about the reports of cured meat risks. I can be really smug about health scares related to meat, having been vegan for 30 years! :smug: