• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Gut Biota Never Recover from Antibiotic Use:

xchocoholic

hi cindi

thanks for posting this. I just hope we haven't doomed the next generation to even more illnesses than the current one.

I enjoyed reading some of the other articles on that website too.

http://gaia-health.com/articles451/000499-doctor-fraud-assault-heart-surgery.shtml

Another Doctor Convicted of Fraud for Unneeded Heart Surgery: Why Not Assault?

A doctor does unneeded heart surgery on a hundred patients and he's charged with...fraud? He took a knife to people. Under any other circumstances, he'd be tried for assault.

by Heidi Stevenson

29 July 2011

We're seeing this one first hand ...

http://gaia-health.com/articles501/000509-failure-conventional-medicine.shtml

The Failure of Conventional Medicine

Why, after spending so much on health, do we face such a plethora of illness, including many 'new' illnesses; and why are so many diseases now at such unprecedented, epidemic levels?

by Steven Scrutton

10 August 2011

glenp

"and this too shall pass"
Tetracyclines Linked to Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
Washington, DC: According to a study published in the American Journal of Gastroenterology, there is a potential association between the oral tetracycline class of antimicrobial drugs and Inflammatory Bowel Disease or IBD.

In their paper, published in August 2010, the researchers concluded that "Tetracycline class antibiotics, and particularly doxycycline use may be associated with the development of IBD, particularly Crohn's Disease (CD). Potential confounding by previous doxycycline exposure should be considered when Crohn's whether treatment with other acne medications increases the risk of IBD."

Inflammatory bowel disease refers to a group of inflammatory conditions that occur in the colon and small intestine. The two main types of inflammatory bowel disease are Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis. Some patients who developed IBD required surgery to remove a section of their colon or even their entire colon.

mellster

Marco
I think ABx should only be given on severe/life threatening (bacterial) infections (no exceptions), but I know this topic is controversial. I thought something wasn't right when I visited a skin doc as a kid and just because I had the few mandatory teenager pimples he wanted to put me on minocycline (sp ?).

ukxmrv

That's so interesting. I had no stomach problems when I developed ME. It was all viral/throat/sinus infections. After repeated AB's for these the stomach problems started.

Also antidepressants were another major source of stomach problems for me.

Cindi

Hi

This was also very interesting article for me and wished to share. Best wishes.

Gamboa

Yikes!!

This is very likely the cause of my downfall. I was on various antibiotics (tetracycline, erythromycine) from the age of 13 to 30 for acne. I was also on accutane twice. I am now 47 and had my bowel flora tested recently and it is bad. During my last round of antibiotics at 30 I developed septicemia with E.coli. The suspected cause was being on antibiotics for so long and somehow E.coli leaked out of my guts and into my blood due to irritable bowel problems. I am currently waiting for gut biopsy results to rule out Celiac since I recently tested positive for Celiac antibodies. Of course 30 years ago there was not much awareness of bowel flora and how much it can affect your health. At least that is now changing and mainstream medicine is beginning to take notice.