August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Gulf War Illness Not in Veterans’ Heads, But in Their Mitochondria

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Ember, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Ember

Ember Senior Member

News Release
    Date: March 27, 2014
    Read more here.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2015
    Abha, Bob, SilverbladeTE and 6 others like this.
  2. Ember

Ember Senior Member

Mitochondrial Dysfunction in Gulf War Illness Revealed by 31 Phosphorus Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy: A Case-Control Study

By Hayley J. Koslik, Gavin Hamilton, Beatrice A. Golomb
    Published: March 27, 2014
    DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0092887

Bob, Sidereal and Ecoclimber like this.
  3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    There was a time in the 1980s when acetylcholinestase inhibitors were widely used in household bugspray. For me, it was Baygon surface spray. I used it a lot. It was nerve gas in a can. Other chemicals have similar action though.

4. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    Im happy for them that this study has been done. It makes sense to me that they would find something like that as I think our illness is at least veryclosely related with very similar systems down .. no matter what the cause is which has caused these things to stop working well.

beaker and Valentijn like this.
  5. Valentijn

Valentijn The Diabolic Logic

Has similar testing been done on ME/CFS patients? I know GWI patients usually fulfill the CDC CFS definition, but has it been tested in CCC/ICC cohorts specifically?

Bob likes this.
  6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    We have had similar testing going back to the 1990s. I am not sure it was the same test though - I think this is a new application of an old methodology, like the 2 day CPET is a new application of a 1940s technology.

Valentijn likes this.
  7. As I've mentioned before, organophosphates are a HUGE widespread problem
    They are in our food (Glyphosate etc, i.e. pesticides and herbicides), when we get on planes (hence Aerotoxic Syndrome) etc.

During the turbulent period after the Soviet Union fell, some of their chemical weapon researchers contacted the West
    They had been developing a new class of weapons known as "Novochok" agents.
    Organophosphates of novel form, anyway, damn things were so hellish as to beggar the imagination (eight times more potent than VX nerve gas), and researchers were being sickened/killed even with protective clothing and caution etc,

What was interesting was one man survived poisoning by tiniest amount getting though a hole in his protective suit and then after getting antidote, but cancer broke out in about every cell in his body afterwards, not normal metastasized cancer, but suddenly everywhere through him.
    Point being our SCUM in the chemical industry had loudly trumpeted that organophosphates were safe...with government ministers going to work for them after setting up systems *forcing* their use on farmers and such like.

They are extremely potent mutagens, carcinogens and immune system modulators (adjunctivants)

Abha and Dmitri like this.

See more popular forum discussions.