1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Did You Have Yourself a Crashy Little Christmas?
Jody Smith may have dodged a holiday bullet this year. She's hoping. Only time will tell. How did you fare?
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Gulf War Illness: New Report Lauds Treatment Research, Confirms Toxic Causes

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by A.B., May 1, 2014.

1. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

These findings might be relevant to ME/CFS.

Which suggests that Wessely's portrayal of gulf war illness as hypochondria is complete nonsense (is anyone even surprised?)

http://www.bu.edu/sph/2014/04/28/gu...uds-treatment-research-confirms-toxic-causes/

Wildcat, cigana, xchocoholic and 9 others like this.
  2. catly

catly Senior Member

outside of NYC
    I didn't read it all, but the report makes reference to ME/CFS in a number of places.

Interesting studies being performed using intranasal insulin for neuroinflamation/cognative issues in GWI. Has that been discussed on this forum at all? Looks like it could be applicable to ME/CFS if proven effective.

http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT01802944

searcher likes this.
  3. Marco

Marco Old blackguard

Near Cognac, France
    catly likes this.
  4. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    Marco
    hm, neuropathy is a serious problem frpm diabetes, and ME has it as well

now have feelings like outside edge of my feet is numb freezing cold/like dentists novocaine/tingly, very unpleasant, on top of other crap

Marco likes this.
  5. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    Could it be Raynaud's, Silverblade?

I have cold feet and hands. (not quite so bad since I stopped smoking!). The only thing is a hot water bottle, wrapped up so it's warm, not hot.

Extra bedsocks on top of your normal ones only keep the cold in. But I'm still wearing them.;)

6. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    Peggy-Sue
    I don't know, I've had increasingly worsening muscle pains in hands for 5 or so years now
    and in the past year as well been getting more and more sudden severe feeling of like having hands and feet in snow or icy water than plunged in hot water, you know kind of thing? lasts for half an hour or an hour at random, usually in evenings though.
    and in past month or two, in my feet, kind of like a line parallel to pinky and next toe going down side of foot, with constant numb cold tingly

My (main) GP is a kindly human being but you get the feeling like he doesn't have a clue about M.E. and well...what's the point of investigations when they can't do dick for the M.E.?
    and I'm just too damn worn out.

been used to for long time needing hot showers/baths to help so I can do stuff for short while, and yes, thermal gloves/socks :p
    found an amazing very cheap pair of such gloves on Amazon, omg, wonderfully thin and toasty warm :)

oh yeah, had another "Baker's Cyst" burst in my right calf, again other week, ugh, finally starting to calm down.

peggy-sue likes this.
  7. Marco

Marco Old blackguard

Near Cognac, France
    Any chance of persuading your GP to test for peripheral and autonomic neuropathy given that some 5O% of fibro patients have been found to have objective evidence of SFPN in 5 independent studies now and autonomic problems seem to be almost endemic in ME/CFS and fibro.

Might also be worth reminding him that autonomic dysfunction is a risk factor for all sorts of nasties like, er, death?

SilverbladeTE and peggy-sue like this.

See more popular forum discussions.