• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Gulf War Illness: New Report Lauds Treatment Research, Confirms Toxic Causes

A.B.

“Studies published since 2008 continue to support the conclusion that Gulf War illness is causally related to chemical exposures in the combat theater,” White said of the new report. “And many studies of the brain and central nervous system, using imaging, EEG and other objective measures of brain structure and function, add to the existing evidence that central nervous system dysfunction is a critical element in the disorder. Evidence also continues to point to immunological effects of Gulf War illness.”

“The Committee concludes that the evidence to date continues to point to alterations in central and autonomic nervous system, neuroendocrine, and immune system functions,”

These findings might be relevant to ME/CFS.

Studies also continue to show that Gulf War illness is not associated with psychological stressors during the war, the panel said. Rates of PTSD and other psychiatric illnesses in Gulf War veterans are far below the rate of these disorders in veterans of other recent wars, and far below the rate of Gulf War illness.

Which suggests that Wessely's portrayal of gulf war illness as hypochondria is complete nonsense (is anyone even surprised?)

http://www.bu.edu/sph/2014/04/28/gu...uds-treatment-research-confirms-toxic-causes/

catly

I didn't read it all, but the report makes reference to ME/CFS in a number of places.

Interesting studies being performed using intranasal insulin for neuroinflamation/cognative issues in GWI. Has that been discussed on this forum at all? Looks like it could be applicable to ME/CFS if proven effective.

http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT01802944

peggy-sue

Could it be Raynaud's, Silverblade?

I have cold feet and hands. (not quite so bad since I stopped smoking!). The only thing is a hot water bottle, wrapped up so it's warm, not hot.

Extra bedsocks on top of your normal ones only keep the cold in. But I'm still wearing them.;)

SilverbladeTE

Peggy-Sue
I don't know, I've had increasingly worsening muscle pains in hands for 5 or so years now
and in the past year as well been getting more and more sudden severe feeling of like having hands and feet in snow or icy water than plunged in hot water, you know kind of thing? lasts for half an hour or an hour at random, usually in evenings though.
and in past month or two, in my feet, kind of like a line parallel to pinky and next toe going down side of foot, with constant numb cold tingly

My (main) GP is a kindly human being but you get the feeling like he doesn't have a clue about M.E. and well...what's the point of investigations when they can't do dick for the M.E.?
and I'm just too damn worn out.

been used to for long time needing hot showers/baths to help so I can do stuff for short while, and yes, thermal gloves/socks :p
found an amazing very cheap pair of such gloves on Amazon, omg, wonderfully thin and toasty warm :)

oh yeah, had another "Baker's Cyst" burst in my right calf, again other week, ugh, finally starting to calm down.

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
Marco
hm, neuropathy is a serious problem frpm diabetes, and ME has it as well

now have feelings like outside edge of my feet is numb freezing cold/like dentists novocaine/tingly, very unpleasant, on top of other crap

Any chance of persuading your GP to test for peripheral and autonomic neuropathy given that some 5O% of fibro patients have been found to have objective evidence of SFPN in 5 independent studies now and autonomic problems seem to be almost endemic in ME/CFS and fibro.

Might also be worth reminding him that autonomic dysfunction is a risk factor for all sorts of nasties like, er, death?