• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Guesstimating anaerobic threshold

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Oh man, I find this whole AT stuff so confusing! I thought the .6 formula was for estimating your AT (Anaerobic threshold) . I thought once we go over our threshold we are not in the aerobic zone anymore and have gone into the inefficient ANaerobic zone. And I thought that healthy people had a larger aerobic zone therefore enabling them to work/exercise longer before they entered the anaerobic respiration zone. What's up...which is it? I've not yet read any of the links in the thread so maybe there's info in there re: POTS and AT.

You are right, @charlie1.

BTW my HR monitor is OK - it can be very hard to get a reading - especially when I most need to - as my pulse during/after exertion tends to be strong and my muscles twitching and sometimes my hand/wrist trembling a bit, which the monitor doesn't seem to like. But I have obtained readings a few times, giving me an idea of how it feels when I reach my threshold, so that I can then work without it. I guess I should do it about once a week to refresh my memory.