Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Guardian: 'What is CBT for psychosis anyway?' Debate developing re: CBT and ME

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Firestormm, May 22, 2014.

1. Firestormm

Firestormm

Cornwall England
    A thorough article, but check out the comments as it's developing into a debate around the 'sticking plaster' solution that is CBT for all conditions as prescribed by the NHS including for ME/CFS with regards suitability for all...

Valentijn and Esther12 like this.
  2. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

When a treatment aims to change a patient's perception, and the efficacy of the treatment is measured by a change in perception, there will be no condition where said treatment fails to be helpful.

Besides CBT, there's another intervention known for mainly changing perceptions: placebos. It is considered unethical to use placebos as treatment for real physical illness.

3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Ta Fire. Keith Laws was in the comments section:

http://discussion.theguardian.com/comment-permalink/35889916

biophile, Simon, Valentijn and 2 others like this.
  4. manna

manna Senior Member

i think the idea of cbt, mind/body, etc is to stop he mind ruminating on its general situation. the less you "think" the less cerebral odema you will experience. i would say that psychosis has, more than likely, a cerebral odema/inflammation counterpart. psychosis is also self generating once it has occurred, i.e. if you think it over it continues and to stop thinking will slow it down, by degree, but not much really. all the same insisting your mind stop thinking can help. thoughts are an energy form and can directly affect physical reality- but poor digestion mreans anxious thoughts.

the argument here, for me, is the extent to which it works and the fact that it denies the physical, for the most. ive always felt the psyche heads shoot themselves, and their therapies, in the foot by insisting it be mainly a psychological issue. they'd have far more folk using it if they agreed that diet and physical therapies, like acupuncture, work and are valid too.

personally, i think if you have psychosis, your first port o call is gluten free. paranoid schizophrenia is not a sympton of celiac without good reason. there are many quicker and easier ways than cbt to reduce cerebral odema, imo. but it doesn't hurt to have a look and take any good points. personally i use the "stop" idea. if i find myself excessively ruminating on the struggle of my illness i'll tell myself to stop. but thats more common sense than cbt etc but it took hearing it to do it. also they say replace that negative rumination with a positive thought form. i see no reason why that can't be slightly beneficial. when trying it i even feel a little better for it. but they take it out of perspective, i think, and overamplify its use and deny other, at least as valid, approaches. ive no interest in believing im well. my interest is to stop ruminating. living alone breeds that problem i think. much is exorcised from the head with chat but then much can be put in, in the way of stress, by chatting, too.

during "journeying" (deep medtative trance) ive, a few times, become aware of a brittle crystalline energy matrix/web formed around the head and how this web restricts the flow of energy from the head down into, for the purposes of regulation, the body. thoughts do exaccerbate this situation but it comes from both sides, and in me/cfs, id say its predominantly physical. i.e. poor digestion equals less seratonin equals stressed head and body. and the digestion can definitely be that bad that no amount of "stopping" thoughts will change much. i heard recently that 95% of seratonin is stored in the mucous membrane of the gut (if its healthy and intact)---the brain gut connection.

See more popular forum discussions.