Looking Ahead to Change: Little by Little
I don't make New Year's Resolutions. I don't think I ever really did, but the last decade or two would have been enough to stifle that impulse. I've just been too aware that I don't have that much control over what happens in my life.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Guardian: How I learned to cope with chronic pain

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by AndyPR, Oct 27, 2016.

1. AndyPR

AndyPR RIP PR :'(

https://www.theguardian.com/society...in-learning-to-cope-remedies-health?CMP=fb_gu

2. valentinelynx

valentinelynx Senior Member

Tucson
    Ah, I don't like to be negative. In fact it's not my intention. It's just that... I did all the stuff he mentions—20 years ago. Read the same books. Was pretty good (and diligent) with meditation. But now... I don't do it much anymore. I still believe those are great books, and great approaches. But, maybe it's because they take energy I don't have anymore? Or my brain is not working as well? Or, I'm just making excuses? I have not accepted that this is the best I'll be, but I do accept that this is the way I am.

But I feel guilty for not doing the "right stuff" to have a positive attitude that might be healing. I don't know how to turn myself around again.

voner and AndyPR like this.
  3. AndyPR

AndyPR RIP PR :'(

My opinion? It sounds like you did all the right stuff and if that was going to cure you then it would have done. I too went through a period of thinking, if only I was more positive then I wouldn't be feeling this way, but when I saw extremely negative people with perfect health I realised that my positiveness, while a good thing for me to nurture, wasn't going to be thing that cures me. So, I now practise what I call realistic positivity - for the benefit of my mood and for the benefit of those around me I will be as positive as possible but shit also happens that I can't control, and no amount of happy will cure me of ME, so I'm, in a positive fashion, hoping that Ron can do that for me. :)

valentinelynx, Molly98 and voner like this.

See more popular forum discussions.