Professor & patients' paper on the solvable biological challenge of ME/CFS: reader-friendly version
Simon McGrath provides a patient-friendly version of a peer-reviewed paper which highlights some of the most promising biomedical research on ME/CFS ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Guardian goes BPS on Fibromyalgia (Lady Gaga)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia' started by Demepivo, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Demepivo

Demepivo Dolores Abernathy

Guardian Science Editor Sarah Bosely has decided to earn the wrath of Fibromyalgia patients by getting psychologist NIck Fallon of Liverpool University to write about Lady Gaga & the illness

https://www.theguardian.com/science...myalgia-the-pain-behind-lady-gagas-poker-face

He uses the words "not all in the mind" but like Suzanne O' Sullivan goes onto to show what he really thinks.

The link goes through to a piece by Daniel Clauw (a chum of Peter White who has endorsed his work)

Structural & functional!

How very psychosocial & so Esther Crawley

lafarfelue, sb4, Woolie and 6 others like this.
  2. Demepivo

Demepivo Dolores Abernathy

Invisible Woman likes this.
  3. ChrisD

ChrisD Senior Member

East Sussex
    ''It doesn’t mean that the pain is ‘all in your head’, or any less real or debilitating. It simply means that, even when the pain affects the whole of Gaga’s five foot two frame, the mysterious mass occupying the uppermost 6 inches will always play a pivotal role.''

I've been thinking a lot lately about whether psychology affects other illnesses and diseases like Arthritis, MS etc. in the same way it would Fibromyalgia. I.e. is it entirely normal for a period of stress to exacerbate symptoms in any illness involving pain/fatigue/coordination/inflammation etc. In which case, this needs to be reiterated to quell the kind of ideas we are seeing in this Guardian article.

rosa, Hutan, MeSci and 2 others like this.
  4. Marco

Marco Grrrrrrr!

Near Cognac, France
    Frankly I don't have any real problem with the notion that psychological issues can exacerbate symptoms. I know that psychological/cognitive/emotional stressors can exacerbate my symptoms to the point of PEM and I can think of several plausible mechanisms to account for this. Does this mean that I believe my symptoms are 'psychological'? - not at all.

If these people believe that the symptoms in 'X' illness have a psychological origin; are exacerbated/perpetuated by psychological issues; can be treated using psychological therapies etc then they need to provide ROBUST evidence using OBJECTIVE measures. If they can then fine - I doubt anyone sensible would complain. Otherwise it's just speculative waffle.

5. chipmunk1

chipmunk1 Senior Member

the childhood trauma story is an oldie but goodie. I wonder if anyone has ever been cured by these ideas?

I mean really cured not 'it helped me so much to understand more about myself "cured" '

ladycatlover, rosa, Orla and 4 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.