• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

GSH and B12 clearance

Learning the methylation cycle is driving me crazy. I have a bioscience background but it still confuses the heck out of me, especially in its application!

Does GSH really clear serum B12 or is that only in a minority of people? (I'm referring to this idea that GSH causes methyltrap.)

I started taking MeB12 (2mg) with 5MTHF (1mg) and within hours I started to feel hot, started getting itchy, tongued turned red, and my IBD symptoms started up (bowel bleeding/inflammation). My skin feels so warm that I am sleeping with my bedroom window open in the middle of winter. My cheeks get red.

I read that as methylation start up, or maybe acceleration. Maybe my initial doses are too high. I don't have CFS/ME but I do have auto-immune. Every time I've tried this, I sleep horribly and the next day I feel like I'm walking in a cloud of fog. My CBS is normal but I'm COMT+ so I'm thinking the methyl groups might be irritating my brain somehow. I am MTR and MTRR heterozygous so the genetics do indicate an increased need for B12, but maybe the 5MTHF is messing me up somehow?

Where I'm REALLY confused is that I've got ++ mutations in SOD2 and GSTP1 so I am glutathione deficient. So maybe the methylation startup caused a rapid detox reaction on top of everything else. Therefore, my go-to should be glutathione injections (which I have)... but if the glutathione is binding to the B12 I just took, then am I not defeating the purpose of taking B12? For some reason when I take NAC I feel like garbage for days and sometimes weeks, and not in the detox way. I think extra cysteine is somehow not good for me. I have no other explanation.

The other thing is that maybe I am deficient in some nutrients and the methyl startup is just showing me that.

Any insight that anyone would offer would be much appreciated. I feel like I am going to mess myself up or just waste money if I continue blindly.