1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hyperparathyroidism: An Often Overlooked Differential Diagnosis to ME/CFS
Andrew Gladman puts hyperparathyroidism under the microscope, exploring what the disease is, how it can mimic ME/CFS in presentation and how it is treated.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Growth Hormone

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by paolo, Oct 31, 2013.

1. paolo

paolo

Has anyone been tested for Human Growth Hormone? I've found some correlation betwen HGH deficiency and ME symptoms.

I'm waiting for my lab test on GH and IGF1 to see if my pitituary gland works properly, because a physichian has hypothesized I may suffer of a lack of this hormone.
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  2. SickOfSickness

SickOfSickness Senior Member

US
    I had a GH test, but it was the pulsatile kind that does not tell you much. Did you have a good kind of test?

I would not be surprised if I had deficiency, and I would love to take HGH, but cannot afford it.
  3. paolo

paolo

GH test has not a particular meaning, because of the floating rate of secretion.

There are some indirect ways to test GH production by pitituary gland. One of these is IGF1 level, which is an hormone secreted by liver under GH stimulation.
    amaru7 and SickOfSickness like this.
  4. Beyond

Beyond 10% of discount in iHerb!--> PEZ915

Murcia, Spain
    My IGF-1 was higher than the upper limit. I am not a giant and certainty I don´t feel good. Must mean something but I don´t know what. Maybe it gets high when other hormones are low. I have lots of low hormones.
    SickOfSickness likes this.
  5. paolo

paolo

I know another CFS patient with high IGF-1, and she as well is wondering the meaning of this finding.
    Beyond likes this.
  6. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    Me too. My IGF1 is consistently over range.
    Beyond likes this.
  7. Beyond

Murcia, Spain
    Interesting. Our prolactin is usually high too. Could be a link.
    paolo likes this.
  8. paolo

paolo

I've read that pitituary gland can be damaged by an infection, so now I'm wondering if some case of CFS is in fact a case of acquired pituitary disfunction.
    SickOfSickness and Beyond like this.
  9. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    One would think that the poor sleep most of us get that we would have low igf/gh as this is when most is produced especially stage 4 deep sleep??
  10. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    Or an autoimmune attack on the pituitary?
    SOC likes this.
  11. paolo

paolo

Who knows...
  12. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)
    explains why alot of us have hormones that are out of whack and have other dysfunctional neurological symptoms such as sleep issues, pots/oi etc
  13. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    I wish they would approve Xyrem for ME/CFS. There was a study done with CFS patients that showed all of them with significantly increased GH in the first phase of Deep Sleep and another smaller release during the second phase of Deep sleep.

But Xyrem is probably more expensive than GH. There could be a possibility for some of us to get on a Patient Assistance Program for either GH or Xyrem. We want know unless we try!
  14. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)
  15. L'engle

L'engle moderate ME

Canada
    There are pituitary glandulars on iherb (inexpensive) but I haven't tried them. I have no idea if it would be remotely useful but if someone tries them let us know.
  16. Beyond

Murcia, Spain
    Yeah that would be cool. I would be trying hypothalamus though if I had to try glandulars for sleep. Too bad is very expensive for a "long shot". The HPA dysfunction pretty much accounts for my sleep problems and many other symptoms, that´s clear. Adrenal glandular is cheaper and might help too, according to Dr. Larry Wilson in his book on Adrenal Fatigue.
  17. knackers323

knackers323 Senior Member

Anyone know where to get xyrem? I've tried the hgh and it made a big difference but way to expensive. Xyrem may be the next best thing.
  18. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    Xyrem can only be prescribed for narcolepsy. excessive daytime sleepiness and I'm not sure what happened with the fibromyalgia push for Xyrem. I saw in the "Clinical Trials" website that had a study for Xyrem and CFS and it was terminated because the could not get enough participants and there was just a lack of support for the study. I sort of want to call BS on that.
    hystericalwoman likes this.
  19. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)
    I second the BS can smell It all the way down here.
    hystericalwoman likes this.
  20. Crux

Crux Senior Member

USA
    Hi Beyond;

Zinc brought my elevated IGF-1 down by over 100 points. It has regulatory properties. Some people may also need B6 for it to work.
    amaru7, JBB and Beyond like this.

See more popular forum discussions.