When the 'Holiday Season' Is No Holiday at all for Those With ME/CFS
Is December getting to you? Jody Smith shares some thoughts on some of the struggles that all too often attend this time of year ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Gross and fine motor function in fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by hixxy, Feb 23, 2017.

1. hixxy

hixxy Senior Member

Australia
    J Pain Res. 2017 Feb 7;10:303-309. doi: 10.2147/JPR.S127038. eCollection 2017.

Gross and fine motor function in fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome

Rasouli O, Fors EA, Borchgrevink PC, Ă–hberg F, Stensdotter AK.

Abstract

PURPOSE:
    This paper aimed to investigate motor proficiency in fine and gross motor function, with a focus on reaction time (RT) and movement skill, in patients with fibromyalgia (FM) and chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) compared to healthy controls (HC).

METHODS:
    A total of 60 individuals (20 CFS, 20 FM, and 20 HC), age 19-49 years, participated in this study. Gross motor function in the lower extremity was assessed using a RT task during gait initiation in response to an auditory trigger. Fine motor function in the upper extremity was measured during a precision task (the Purdue Pegboard test) where the number of pins inserted within 30 s was counted.

RESULTS:
    No significant differences were found between FM and CFS in any parameters. FM and CFS groups had significantly longer RT than HC in the gait initiation (p=0.001, and p=0.004 respectively). In the Purdue Pegboard test, 20% in the FM group, 15% in the CFS groups, and 0% of HC group, scored below the threshold of the accepted performance. However, there were no significant differences between FM, CFS, and HC in this task (p=0.12).

CONCLUSION:
    Compared to controls, both CFS and FM groups displayed significantly longer RT in the gait initiation task. Generally, FM patients showed the worst results in both tests, although no group differences were found in fine motor control, according to the Purdue Pegboard test.

KEYWORDS:
    Purdue Pegboard; chronic; fatigue syndrome; gait initiation; musculoskeletal diseases; reaction time

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28223840
    https://www.dovepress.com/gross-and...hronic-fatigue-synd-peer-reviewed-article-JPR

Woolie, merylg, AndyPR and 1 other person like this.
  2. RogerBlack

RogerBlack Senior Member

Before testing the CFS cohort did the chaldler fatigue scale.
    'The mean score of chalder fatigue scale was 25.2 (3.57)' - is this severe?
    Oh joy.
    Page 5.
    Following on from a discussion on how brain changes in some aspects mirror aging, they go on to
    'Therefore patients may benefit from exercise therapy including sensory-motor challenges. '

I'm not sure how they got there from here.

3. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    Interesting. My wife has significant issues walking. But she is extremely good at quilting, needlework, etc. And artistic endeavours with our 2.5 year old granddaughter :).

Edit: My point being there seems at least a very tentative correlation between my wife's symptoms and the findings, in that lower body motor control seems adversely affected, but not upper body.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  4. ash0787

ash0787 Senior Member

If it does its not binary like the main symptoms / etiology

4 monthes into illness

I could probably still pull off the same moves but I don't feel like it ( no adrenaline, energy etc ) and it would give me insomnia, anxiety etc

15 monthes into illness

so I guess they could have just ask me

5. Alvin2

Alvin2 If humans were rational...

Was searching for motor control and came across this thread
    My fine motor control has some major deficits, for example if i try to carry a pot full of water besides the real time energy draining i can feel it will wobble and i can't keep myself from spilling some of it
    Gross motor control is fine (but exhausting)

Jan likes this.
  6. Jan

Jan Senior Member

Devon UK
    Me too, worse in my left arm/hand. One day I was carrying 2 plastic cups of tea a short distance and lost more than half in the cup in my left hand. It's an uncontrollable tremor, I get it pretty much daily when pouring water into a bowl to mix food for my ferrets. It's worse if I'm trying to control the flow to a trickle.

This symptom does worry me as I'm finding it increasingly difficult to do things like open packets.

7. Alvin2

Alvin2 If humans were rational...

Yikes, mine isn't at that point but i used to go through what i called exhaustion spells where i would get like that (and worse). My MRI shows brain damage but the report does not go into detail and i don't have the training to read the MRI images (even though i have the CD).

Jan likes this.
  8. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem All Good Things Must Come to an End

My fine motor control is getting worse. I have several pills that I split into smaller doses by pouring them into smaller capsules. I am increasingly dropping and spilling things when I do this. The dropping and spilling go on with other things too; the pills are just really annoying.

I am also experiencing increasing biting of my lips, cheeks, and tongue and choking. I assume this is related.

At first I was surprised, but relieved, that I am not experiencing increasing problems with my legs and feet. Falling is especially dangerous. Then I realized that I do not do the sort of fine motor things with my feet that I do with my hands and mouth.

Jan likes this.
  9. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member

I hate that time of the week when I have to dispense the tablets....the calcium ones are particularly slippery little buggers.

Little Bluestem likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.