1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Brain Cells Making us Sick? The microglia connection in ME/CFS & Fibromyalgia
Simon McGrath looks at theories that microglia, the brain's immune cells, could trigger and perpetuate the symptoms of ME/CFS and fibromyalgia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Griffith Uni Australia new press artivle

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Allyson, May 23, 2013.

1. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne
    alex3619, WillowJ and Simon like this.
  2. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Done - always good to click through and give a good story the traffic.

Interesting what they say about having access to severely affected patients.
    Allyson likes this.
  3. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    Now that it very interesting indeed, since this group has not been studied - while for many other conditions the most severely-affectected patients are of seen as of great value to researchers as potentially they have the 'strongest' signal.

However, there may also be confounding issues with a highly-deconditioned patient group as long-term bed-rest in healthy people does lead to many changes in the immune system (documented by NASA and others looking at long-term effects of bed-rest as a model of weightlessness in space).
    Allyson likes this.
  4. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    do you know what changes specifically?
    Allyson likes this.
  5. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    WillowJ and Allyson like this.
  6. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne
    willow j and Simon

i DO know that when astornauts complete a mission and return to eart there is no heroic/triumphant march out of the space lab

why ? because they cannot stand up and have to be carried out bodily until they re-gain condition.

Not sure of all the details or how long it takes to re- condition.

also they are working on suits for them to wear that may help us

cooling compression clothing to help them maintain blood pressure and stay cool while wearing it. this would realy help us with OI issues.

if we got the right comfortable superman suits we migt be like superman all the time instead of reverting to Clark Kents after a breif episode up and about.
    WillowJ and Simon like this.
  7. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne
    yes that is great to see Sasha; they are a wonderful team doing great work so that s really heartening to see.
    Here is the link to their fb page for those who want to stay updated.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/N...erging-Diseases-NCNED/301252900007181?fref=ts

it strikes me thaat in Australia if youhave say a bad motor bike accident you will get weekks of intensive care hopital care and months of rehab sosting hundreds of thousands of dollars - all free.

Meanwhile we are as totally debilitated as that rider .... and we barely get the time ot recite our full list of symptoms before being shown the door often.....

(meanwhile the rider can then get back on the bike and do it all again)

sad really and hope this will change
    taniaaust1 and Sasha like this.
  8. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    Umm 250, 000 affected with ME/CFS... I wonder if they are going by the Canadian Diagnostic criteria? Wikipedia says we have 23 Million people in Australia.
  9. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    We only have a million in the US conservatively

See more popular forum discussions.