1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Dr. Kerr, I presume?
Clark Ellis brings us a rare interview with British researcher Dr. Jonathan Kerr who is now living in Colombia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Grey volume matter atrophy in FM as well - not associated with depression

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Cort, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    This is fantastic stuff. Grey matter atrophy in the areas of the brain related to sensory and pain processing. I actually would have thought the opposite- because the pain areas in FM are activated; actually the pain enhancing networks are activated and the pain reducing areas are inhibited...

But that was a silly conclusion by me because you would expect injury in the areas that weren't working properly and that;s what they found - but only in the pain producing areas - not in those associated with depression :Retro smile:

One study found found low grey volume in CFS in the lateral prefrontal cortex. Not sure how that relates to this area...but the anterior cingulate has been a focus in CFS as well by Chaudhuri and Behan -

http://aboutmecfs.org/Rsrch/CentralFatigueCFS.aspx

Here is the conclusion of the paper I wrote on Central Fatigue

This was such interesting work and I think it's been dropped.

See more popular forum discussions.