• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Grey and white matter differences in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Woolie

@Woolie - I'm not a scientist and really appreciate your take on this study. But I'm wondering - if there really are differences in gray and white matter in the brains of ME/CFS patients compared to normal controls, couldn't this be used in a positive way for us to show a physical basis for ME/CFS, much as the MRI finally convinced the medical world that MS was real based on the showing of demyelination in the brains of MS patients?
Yes, I agree that differences in white or grey matter volume - if they were found to exist based on reliable evidence - would not imply 'no physical basis'. But the thing is, I suspect there aren't any.

The research standards in this area are really poor. Its so easy to get a false positive finding. And the speculation often goes way beyond the data, Interoception, ffs!

If six weeks of mindfulness training can increase grey matter volume, there something fishy going on somewhere :cautious:

Mary

Moderator Resource
Yes, I agree that differences in white or grey matter volume - if they were found to exist based on reliable evidence - would not imply 'no physical basis'. But the thing is, I suspect there aren't any.

The research standards in this area are really poor. Its so easy to get a false positive finding. And the speculation often goes way beyond the data, Interoception, ffs!

If six weeks of mindfulness training can increase grey matter volume, there something fishy going on somewhere :cautious:

Thanks @Woolie - I did not realize this was such a gray area (pun intended) with so much wiggle room in interpretation! :sluggish: