The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Greg Towers added to list of Invest in M.E. speakers

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by akrasia, Feb 21, 2013.

1. akrasia

akrasia Senior Member

Professor Greg Towers
    Professor of Molecular Virology,
    Research Department of Infection,
    Div of Infection & Immunity
    UCL
    London, UK Research Activities
    HIV
    Host factors influencing viral tropism and antiviral innate immunity
    Innate Immunity
    Retrovirus in gene therapy and xenotransplantation
    Transcription and chromatin

[​IMG]

The addition of Greg Towers to the roster of speakers is very significant, a marker on where m.e. research is going. Apart from his participation in disproving xmrv and m.e., he has no track record on the disease but said this at the time,

"Towers said it was vital to understand that this latest research did not suggest chronic fatigue syndrome is not caused by a virus of some sort. "We cannot answer that yet," he said. "But we know it is not this virus causing it."

Politically, it should give everyone a morale boost, particularly people in the UK. His affiliations with the Wellcome and University College London locate him squarely in the heart of the British medical/research establishment.

It does suggest some major paradigm shift is in the works. If you recall, during Mady Hornig's lecture at the opening of Nova she ended by quoting an Einstein anecdote where a student remarks that the exam they've just completed has the same questions as last year's. Einstein replies, yes, but this year the
    answers are different...

taniaaust1, SOC, justy and 1 other person like this.
  2. akrasia

akrasia Senior Member

Whoops.

Powers should, of course, read Towers in the title.

3. Mark

Mark Acting CEO

Sofa, UK
    Fixed.

Thanks for posting this news akrasia. Intriguing and promising.

Anybody planning to attend the IiME conference this year, please do contact me, it's always good to meet up with PR members there. :)

See more popular forum discussions.