Phoenix Rising supports the Millions Missing global day of protest
Phoenix Rising is delighted to support the demands being made in the ME/CFS community’s first-ever global day of protest …
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Great news on Dr Nigel Speight - GMC drops restrictions

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Yogi, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Yogi

Yogi Senior Member

Great news on Dr Nigel Speight- GMC drops restrictions.

:balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons:

This was announced by Invest in ME

https://m.facebook.com/groups/5804522506?view=permalink&id=10154026654927507&refid=26&_ft_=qid.6340284866270452744:mf_story_key.10154026654927507:tl_objid.10154026654927507

See previous thread about suspension:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/gmc-suspends-nigel-speight.44204/

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    rosieness, Joh, Jo Best and 54 others like this.
  2. worldbackwards

worldbackwards A unique snowflake

Earth
    Brilliant! But do we have official notification?

Luther Blissett and Denise like this.
  3. Cheshire

Cheshire Senior Member

rosieness, Jo Best, simeyss and 19 others like this.
  4. Denise

Denise Senior Member

I am so glad he can resume taking care of ME patients!
    I hope Dr. Speight is now free to educate (families, healthcare professionals, patients, etc) about ME as well.

Jo Best, Artstu, Valentijn and 10 others like this.
  5. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
    Delighted to hear this!

Now can Dr Speight replace Dr Crawley on the MEGA trial?

rosieness, Jo Best, Artstu and 25 others like this.
  6. charles shepherd

charles shepherd Senior Member

He can certainly return to his position as Honorary Paediatric Medical Adviser at the MEA!

rosieness, JohnCB, Artstu and 33 others like this.
  7. Jan

Jan Senior Member

Devon UK
    Such fantastic news for Dr Speight and for all the patients and families who desperately need him :thumbsup:

'Pinocchio Psychiatrists' I like that, it took a while for me to get it though :lol:

Jo Best, MeSci, trishrhymes and 2 others like this.
  8. Large Donner

Large Donner Senior Member

Did we ever have it confirmed who reported him? Surely he must have been told who it was as everyone has the right to face their accuser. i hope he sues the F out of who ever it was!!

Daisymay, Jan, simeyss and 3 others like this.
  9. Countrygirl

UK
    Yes. I mentioned the person's name in my post above. It is 100% positive...............confirmed by the best source there can be. ;)

10. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

Definitely even more reason to insist that she's removed from MEGA then.

11. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

This is clearly very good news for Dr Speight and for the ME community in general.

It does however appear to be less good news for the GMC. To the interested observer it would appear that prior to a full hearing it has been established that there is no case to answer. There is insufficient evidence even to attempt to argue the case at a full hearing.

One can easily see the need for immediate interim suspension in cases where risk to patient health outweighs all other considerations. In this case it is extremely difficult to see what risk might have been posed by Dr Speight to warrant suspension for the length of time involved.

In cases where there is no immediate and pressing risk to patient health it might reasonably be expected that the evidence would be of a certain standard before proceedings are commenced

12. Cheshire

Cheshire Senior Member

More info on the ME Association web site:

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/201...-the-general-medical-council-12-october-2016/

13. Countrygirl

UK
    I have just removed this post which I found on FB as I have heard from NS who has just sent me a copy of the statement. Accompanying the statement, given the context, I suspect it is solely for those who wrote letters of support as NS says it is not for general dissemination.
    Sorry folks!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  14. Keela Too

Keela Too Sally Burch

N.Ireland
    The content at the link you shared is now down. I shared it a couple of places. I've now deleted those posts anyway

Luther Blissett and Countrygirl like this.
  15. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

16. Large Donner

Large Donner Senior Member

@charles shepherd

There is some true surrealism here. Nigel Speight is pediatric adviser to the ME Association. No patient has had an issue with him, yet he gets reported maliciously by another doctor to the GMC. The GMC suspend him thereby tarnishing his reputation affecting his ability to practice and potentially affecting him financially. Some doctors who have had this happen to them never recover financially. Its adjudicated there there is zero case to answer.

The person who reported him appears to work in the same field and is so controversial its untrue and has numerous parents of patients reporting actual harm to their children. That same person runs controversial trials and seems to have no idea how do define the illness and makes spurious claims about the efficacy and effectiveness of her treatments.

She is in a joint venture with the CMRC with which includes participation from the medical adviser to the ME Association (Charles Shepherd) who works closely with Dr Speight and values him most highly. She is causing alot of concern due to her proposed involvement in a new trail MEGA and her ongoing attitudes to ME and dubious statements.

Charles Shepherd has had to sign something practically amounting to a gagging order to be allowed to participate in the CMRC which seems like it shoe horns people into unconditionally having to support other members regardless of their suitability.

There is something which is called in the public interest which trumps all other agreements or contracts especially when there is serious concern about someones abilities and motives.

She needs to face the same level of enquiry that Nigel Speight just had to endure. Its just farcical that the ME Association can continue to work with her in a collaboration and still be able to look Nigel Speight in the eye as their peadiatric adviser after her malicious complaint that proved to have zero foundation.

How the hell can we have this gagging order arrangement on unconditional support for other CMRC members whilst this woman goes of and maliciously reports the pediatric advisory of the ME association who are a member of the collaborative and absolutely NOTHING happens to her to affect her position in the CMRC?

emmaj, Jan, TiredSam and 6 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.