1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and Beating the Clock
For Jody Smith, the ticking of a clock was enough at one time to chase her back to her bed. But with the passage of time, she has been able to reclaim her living room ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Great Letter to NYTimes by Fred Freidberg

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by andreamarie, Nov 2, 2009.

1. andreamarie

andreamarie Senior Member

The NYTimes printed a letter by Fred Freidberg, who was featured in the Wellness section shortly before the WPI news broke. Because he is a psychologist and does CBT there was a lot of anger. However, he wrote a letter responding to Hillary Johnson's (?) editorial that was terrific. It's in the Oct 31 Letters to Editor. Sorry, I can't do links. He said, enough already, this is a terrible disease that is underfunded and it's time to stop the stigmatization of patients. I can't remember the name of organization he is head of.
  2. zoe.a.m.

zoe.a.m. Senior Member

Olympic Peninsula, Washington
  3. shrewsbury

shrewsbury member

NYT Fred Friedberg opinion Nov 1

thanks for the tip andreamarie. Don't know why my nyt alert didn't work and let me know about it.

here's the link

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/01/opinion/lweb01fatigue.html?scp=5&sq=friedberg&st=cse

if:)
  4. Marylib

Marylib Senior Member

New Zealand
    Fred Friedburg

Sorry my spelling may be wrong. I can only hold stuff in my mind for 3 seconds!

Anyway, I believe he is the current pres. of the IACFS/ME. When he talks about CBT it would not be as a cure, or how the British psychiatrists talk about it. This man is the real deal and clued in.
    Marylib
  5. _Kim_

_Kim_ Guest

Thanks andreamarie

Good catch on the NYT opinion piece. The NYT is not dropping this topic quickly. They've run more press about XMRV than any other news outfit. Me thinks we have an advocate or two over there.
  6. starryeyes

starryeyes Senior Member

Bay Area, California
    I'm glad the NYT is finally in our favor. :)
  7. andreamarie

Google alert

I missed this reading the Times. But I do Google Alert for chronic fatigue syndrome.
  8. Aftermath

Aftermath Guest

These Letters

Copies of these letters might be a good addition to any letters we send to elected officials.

The fact that the New York Times is providing substantial coverage to this issue demonstrates that it is important enough for the politicians to get involved with.

The letters are good evidence that we are not crackpots.
  9. shrewsbury

shrewsbury member

Great idea Aftermath; I concur

His opinion piece is succinct and carries some authority.

if:)
  10. Christopher

Christopher Senior Member

Pennsylvania
    Let's just hope that when the media exposure dies down due to there not being any new news that the research will continue to be funded and looked at as important.
  11. andreamarie

Another article in NYT that quotes the Whittemores re Bill Reeves. Too tired, can't do link, it's under GIVINGS. Times is not letting this go.
  12. starryeyes

starryeyes Senior Member

Bay Area, California
    Is it under Givings or Misgivings? lol
  13. Marylib

Marylib Senior Member

New Zealand
    NYTimes

I sense that the Times is looking for coup with this -- thankfully!

Someone may have figured out that heads in the govt. agencies will roll when the truth gets out and they want to claim their share of credit. I am all for it!

See more popular forum discussions.