1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: A disease at war with itself
We can all agree that ME/CFS is a nasty disease, particularly in its severe form, but there are abundant nasty diseases in the world. What is unique and particularly confounding about our disease is that so much controversy surrounds it, and not only surrounds it, but invades it too.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

graphic of antibody's size versus that of a regular drug

Discussion in 'Rituximab: News and Research' started by Sherlock, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Sherlock

Sherlock bicarb for exercise recovery and taming candida

US
    This slide is from the FDA webinar yesterday, which would also happen to give an idea about why the rituximab version called Reditux which is made in India wouldn't be exactly the same as the original Rituxan/Mabthera - it's just too complicated and in fact the number of molecules in either cannot even be exactly measured.

fda.gif

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AboutFDA/Transparency/Basics/UCM356666.pdf
    Bob and Sasha like this.
  2. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I bet that aspirin feels pretty stupid.
  3. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    :rofl: :rofl::rofl:

aspirin: :sleep:
    rituxan: :ninja:
    Bob, Nielk and Sasha like this.
  4. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    Aspirin might be the David though against the antibody Goliath.
    Sasha likes this.
  5. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK

That's what I'd be saying if I was Aspirin! :)
    Nielk, alex3619 and Bob like this.
  6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    That protein is a long chain - a string. Its all folded up. What holds it together is a combination of electric charges and new chemical bonds. What do you need to make those chemical bonds? Glutathione. What are we deficient in? Glutathione. What happens if the antibodies are not folding properly? My guess is a loss of specificity leading to a capacity to attack a wider range of targets. Its just speculation but it ties methylation issues to our kind of autoimmune issue.

Aspirin is an assassin though. It attacks its target and dies in the process. So it really does fit the ninja icon. :ninja:

Duplicating antibody drugs exactly is indeed extremely difficult. It could be done though, but would require lots more work and genetically engineered B cells or something.
    Sasha likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.