• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

GPs: Where are the UK's best and worst GPs to be found?

charles shepherd

Where are the UK's best and worst GPs to be found?

The worst areas to live for seeing a GP are today exposed by an analysis of inspection reports.

It reveals how in some parts of England almost half of all surgeries have been rated inadequate or require improvement.

Elsewhere in the country, a staggering 46 per cent of practices have been given the highest rating of outstanding.

MailOnline has created a full breakdown for each NHS Clinical Commissioning Group and their practices in England.

Full list here:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4358634/Places-England-HALF-GPs-failing.html

Aurator

I can't really reconcile the title of this thread with the information yielded by the data in the article. With the exception of vague references to "tradition of leadership" and "focus on peer led improvement", all the emphasis in the article seems to be on waiting times and access to services; I can't see anything that deals with the quality of the care offered when people do eventually get to see a GP, nor any mention of how the quality of this care is or can be measured. Not all GPs are equal, even if the time it takes to see them often is.

Articles like this, whilst highlighting one problem, can conceal bigger ones. The article also seems to be blaming the wrong people; in most cases it looks like it's not so much GPs who are "failing" as the NHS. It would nice if the real culprits (government ministers and NHS executives) would have the decency to stand up and shoulder the blame. Strange how they so rarely do, and instead succeed in having the blame placed on those lower down the chain of command.

Countrygirl

I notice that areas which are deemed to be 'outstanding' treat ME patients with contempt and disbelief.

My local surgery, for anyone who does not have ME, is excellent; however, for those if us with the illness, we are on our own and subject to rudeness and disbelief if we try to access medical help, even for a non-ME problem, and a potentially serious one.

I don't think this league table is relevant to us.

Where are the UK's best and worst GPs to be found?

The worst areas to live for seeing a GP are today exposed by an analysis of inspection reports.

It reveals how in some parts of England almost half of all surgeries have been rated inadequate or require improvement.

Elsewhere in the country, a staggering 46 per cent of practices have been given the highest rating of outstanding.

MailOnline has created a full breakdown for each NHS Clinical Commissioning Group and their practices in England.

Full list here:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4358634/Places-England-HALF-GPs-failing.html

They should survey ME patients and see how the results change.

Maybe we should do a survey here.