Professor & patients' paper on the solvable biological challenge of ME/CFS: reader-friendly version
Simon McGrath provides a patient-friendly version of a peer-reviewed paper which highlights some of the most promising biomedical research on ME/CFS ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

GP Involvement in Diagnosing Symptoms of ME that could be caused by Adrenal Problems

Discussion in 'Adrenal Dysfunction' started by LitlFrog, Nov 26, 2010.

1. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    Do men need to be concerned about their Pituitary?

GG

2. rlc

rlc Senior Member

3. LitlFrog

LitlFrog

Thank you all for your posts & apologies if I have not appeared courteous by responding sooner - I was incredibly poorly with a bad relapse immediately after I posted this! I am still struggling so have come online to to say a few words to communicate my appreciation.

I have just changed to a new GP who knows how determined I am to find the cause of this devastating condition.
    I am going to brave attacking the adrenal problem with my GP and am grateful for all the additional information that I can draw upon for the appointment, specifically with regards to getting the tests right because it is so easy to fall down at the first hurdle by getting a result that appears to fall within the `normal' range of a test but may actually be far from normal.

Thank you again everybody..

xx

4. rlc

rlc Senior Member

Hi LitlFrog, sorry to hear about your relapse, hope everything goes great with your GP, if you can, i find printing out the articles about tests required etc and taking them to the doctors very helpful, because there writen by the experts on the conditions, the GPs can't really argue with them, alot of GPs knowledge on adrenal problems is very basic to so the least, so it helps to be prepared.

All the best

5. Francelle

Francelle Senior Member

Victoria, Australia
    I know I have heard it many times before but I'm a bit puzzled by this adrenal insufficiency discussion as it relates to M.E/CFS.

I have had primary adrenal insufficiency since infancy and insomuch as extreme fatigue/exhaustion overlaps in both M.E. & AI, none of the other myriad symptoms (apart from postural hypotension) that I have experienced in either condition has much likeness to each other.

6. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    All part of it Adrenals-best support go with. Here not much understood - too complicated as yet.

7. Omri

Omri

Israel
    I recently got my cortisol tested. In three different times, it was very low. So, I'm still waiting a few tests, but this probably means i don't have cfs.
    Ive been taking prednisone for a few days and feel a bit better ( my appetite is back, less fatigued).
    If you haven't yet, check your cortisol or other hormones.. cortisol defficiency has very common symptoms with cfs (notably fatigue and gi problems)

8. duncan

duncan Senior Member

How curious, @Omri. I just had my cortisol checked, and it came back high - despite me being hypothyroidal.

Glad treatment seems to be working for you.

9. Omri

Omri

Israel
    Not sure. Was feeling good.for two days and now feeling bad again. Will wait and see..

10. slysaint

slysaint Senior Member

W. Sussex UK
    I read a research paper(somewhere on this site or maybe the International consensus diagnostic paper, cant remember the official name, OCC? Or something) it says ME/CFS sufferers should not be treated with corticosteroids.
    I have been through hell for over a year going through corticosteroid withdrawal, topical and prednisolone.
    I would urge anyone using any kind of corticosteroids to really do their homework on this, not just the standard list of possible side effects. There are support forums for people suffering from topical steroid withdrawal(often exacerbated by orals), and purely orals. Prednisolone is 4-5 times stronger than hydrocortisone, and dextramethasone(I know I've spelled that wrong), is even stronger.

11. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Research has shown that low-dose hydrocortisone is beneficial for ME patients. But it was carried out by psychobabblers, so the conclusion was that it still shouldn't be used.

12. Omri

Omri

Israel
    Well,of course you shouldn't it use it without good reason. I'm using it because I had blood tests where my cortisol was very low and was eventually diagnosed with secondary adrenal insufficiency.

Valentijn likes this.
  13. slysaint

slysaint Senior Member

W. Sussex UK
    Didn't mean to criticise anyone, I know some people have little choice in the matter(I know someone with Addison's who has to take hydrocortisone every day to stay alive).
    Just don't want anyone to unnecessarily go through what I have from inappropriate treatment with corticosteroids. If i knew how to prevent people from getting ME I would equally feel the need to warn them.
    Unfortunately a lot of doctors go for the quick fix approach with antibiotics,steroids and anti-depressants without giving the patient any alternative. .....but that's another story.

See more popular forum discussions.