• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

got my SNP results, would appreciate some advice

Hi everyone,

Here are the results of my methylation panel test from Amy Yasko. Any advice on where to go from here would be much appreciated :)

Homozygous:
MTRR A66G
NOS D298E
VDR Taq
MAO A R279R

Heterozygous:
MTRR 11
BHMT 8
CBS A360A
VDR Fok

I cannot believe I don't have any MTHFR or COMT mutations, but hey, genes don't lie.

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

Sea

Your homozygous MTRR means that you are less efficient at recycling B12 to use over and over again. Supplementing B12 should be useful for you.

Methylfolate needs B12 to function properly, perhaps that's why you have felt that you need more methylfolate and suspected MTHFR.

Hi @Sea Thanks for the reply :) I was supplementing hydroxyb12 (10,000% RDA) on and off for the last 8 months, but found that the only thing it would do was give me headaches. A month ago I then started using adenosylb12 (the HHI MegaDrops version, 1 drop daily), which apparently made no difference. Over the last fortnight I've trialed taking them together several times, with caffeine to aid absorption, and getting no benefits but no headaches either; so perhaps I need the adenosyl to neutralize some of the side effects of the hydroxy?

Where does this leave me with methylfolate, though? Either way, I'm not sure any form of b12 is functioning without the other members of @Freddd 's deadlock quartet (I'm taking l-carnitine, but not methylb12 or methylfolate).

Sea

Have you tried sublingual B12 at all? A lot of us don't do well at absorbing much oral B12.

I've had some killer migraines in my trial and error process with methylfolate and B12 but I have discovered over time that if I start developing a headache more methylfolate rather than less will make the headache go away. Also I will now get a terrible headache if I forget to have my morning supplements of methylfolate and B12.

Theoretically we should be able to turn Hydroxy into Adenosyl and Methyl in the proportions our bodies need to fulfil their separate functions in the body. Unfortunately there can be disruptions to that process at many points along the pathway beginning with whether we can even absorb it let alone transport, convert, use and recycle.

Adenosyl has no role in neutralising side effects of Hydroxy, but there would be some ways it could make it appear that way. Perhaps it is competing for absorption such that you are absorbing less of the Hydroxy, perhaps because you are supplementing the Adenosyl you are processing more of the Hydroxy into Methyl which your body desperately needs, perhaps it is raising the total amount of Adenosyl your body receives because it gets some from your direct supplementing and some from the Hydroxy. That is all speculation about possibilities by which I mean to say more than one conclusion can be drawn from your symptoms.

I'd encourage you to trial some sublingual methylB12 instead of the Hydroxy, but start slow and see how you go.