• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Got ME? Just SMILE!" - Media coverage of the SMILE trial…..

Dx Revision Watch

Suzy Chapman Owner of Dx Revision Watch
...I don't see how the Collaborative can have any viable future if it's Vice-Chair is determined to go on smearing people and organisations who make legitimate criticisms of her work. Through her actions and words she continues to deliberately undermine the collaborative approach that the CMRC supposedly exists to promote.

If Holgate had acted when David Tuller complained about Crawley slandering him four months ago, she would probably have been more circumspect in her comments about the MEA yesterday morning. But unfortunately Holgate did nothing, and he therefore bears a large measure of responsiblity for the fact that the Vice-Chair continues to act in a way that undermines the CMRC's integrity. If he's still not prepared to act and censure Crawley in some way for her remarks - what will it take?

As Holgate knows, many patients are already deeply suspicious of the CMRC and it's agenda. If he fails to act against Crawley in a meaningful way this time he will share Crawley's responsibily for the inevitable collapse of the whole endeavor - something that I'm sure he doesn't want.

Absolutely spot on, Stewart.

Yogi

I have always felt that we are being used as click-bait.

I have in the past copied the whole negative article on to here but the mods truncated it due to copyright.

If we can go through all the media articles copy and past them here it would help. Screenshots are also good.
It stops the hate-mongers of the press and EC profiting financially from us.

In the UK there is a campaign on twitter about #stopthehate to stop the press spreading hate about marginalised groups and the advertisers advertising on such papers. We should stopthehate

To the PRmods: if they news orgs come to PR to ask that we have breached copyright well they can FUCK OFF!!
At least we know the media are coming to PR and hopefully they should read our comments and learn the the reality of neurological ME. WIN-WIN for us

Note: this is for negative, hateful discriminatory articles. Please continue to post links to balanced articles.

Yogi

Can the people who have posted links above please copy and paste full articles into your posts so we don't give them more clickbait.

Thanks to you all !!!:thumbsup:

Hate crimes are defined as ones which do not just impact the people involved but cause alarm and distress to a whole community. I presume hate speech is similar. If so, these things definitely come into that category. I feel sick and ill everyday but then I will be watching TV or looking at a newspaper and suddenly come across something that makes my stomach turn over.

I have felt bad all week knowing what was coming. You'd think that over the years I
It adds to dilemma - do you tell consultant about unrelated prob that you have ME.

lilpink

They should also put a statement out on website not just face book

This is good...and good on them for realising in good time that the CMRC just wasn't the place people serious about this disease should be lurking. Well done them. I've been extremely condemnatory of their membership of the CMRC so it's nice to see them back on track. I look forward to their upcoming review.

Yogi

This is good...and good on them for realising in good time that the CMRC just wasn't the place people serious about this disease should be lurking. Well done them. I've been extremely condemnatory of their membership of the CMRC so it's nice to see them back on track. I look forward to their upcoming review.

I really do not understand what some of our other big ME charities who rake in so much money from patients do all day especially AFME and MEA. Anyone?

Why have they not put out such a statement.

lilpink

@charles shepherd
While I really appreciated your intervention on the BBC this morning, I also think something should be done by all ME associations to protest vigourously against the "coordinated campain of ME activists" theory.

This kind of speech can be assimilated to racism and is pure discrimination.
It is seriously undermining our voice, despite no proof of it being true (quite the contrary according to the tribunal).

IMO it is one of the most important things that should be adressed now.

Completely agree with this. How can this not be 'hate crime'? Can someone post what constitutes 'hate crime' in law so we can assess if this could come under that please?

Ysabelle-S

Highly Vexatious
I don't see any difference between the abusive hate speech I might be subjected to (from gays and straights) as a bisexual person, and the abusive hate speech I'm seeing from so-called researchers and media on ME. I think the law in England and Wales has just been changed to include recognition of biphobic abuse from gays which contributes to greater mental health and minority stress issues for bisexual people, including self harm and suicide risk. I don't think ME sufferers should be having to suffer any bullshit either. Especially since we start off as ill, and don't need the added burden of rampant bigotry and defamation from the very profession that's meant to treat us. It only makes us more ill. Of course, the more ill we are, the harder it is to fight back, and those responsible know this only too well. It's like they want to break whatever spirit we have left so they can feed on what's left for the sake of their selfish twisted careers. Well, they underestimate us and the real scientists if they think they're going to win. The worse their defamatory behaviour gets, and the worse the quackery they promote, the more it's going to come back to bite them in the end.

Yogi

I don't see any difference between the abusive hate speech I might be subjected to (from gays and straights) as a bisexual person, and the abusive hate speech I'm seeing from so-called researchers and media on ME. I think the law in England and Wales has just been changed to include recognition of biphobic abuse from gays which contributes to greater mental health and minority stress issues for bisexual people, including self harm and suicide risk. I don't think ME sufferers should be having to suffer any bullshit either. Especially since we start off as ill, and don't need the added burden of rampant bigotry and defamation from the very profession that's meant to treat us. It only makes us more ill. Of course, the more ill we are, the harder it is to fight back, and those responsible know this only too well. It's like they want to break whatever spirit we have left so they can feed on what's left for the sake of their selfish twisted careers. Well, they underestimate us and the real scientists if they think they're going to win. The worse their defamatory behaviour gets, and the worse the quackery they promote, the more it's going to come back to bite them in the end.

The MEA runs numerous surveys for people to click on. Perhaps they could run one asking if EC and her ilk have caused distress from her hate speech. People could then click on appropriate answer.

AndyPR

I really do not understand what some of our other big ME charities who rake in so much money from patients do all day especially AFME and MEA. Anyone?

Why have they not put out such a statement.
Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 14.22.12.png

https://www.facebook.com/meassociation/posts/1504960942894892

Yogi

Londinium

So, I've been ruminating on this trial a bit more. I'm sure others better at this than me (Keith is on the case by the sounds of it!) will over time find and document many methodological flaws - my guess is that selection bias arising from the fact that only a third of eligible participants wanted to go anywhere near LP, suggesting that more woo-friendly households were involved, is a key flaw.

While that's going on, I want to share a theory I now have on the gap between the trial completing and publication. My guess is that publication only occurred as Bristol Uni has been glacially moving to publish results for all registered trials, and that otherwise it'd have been quietly shelved. I'll be honest and say I was surprised at the group pushing a positive result. I had (see my earlier postings) expected a very small effect (thereby justifying the trial as not being unethical) but an overall conclusion that LP is inferior to GET.

However, given this trial gave a supposedly positive result, why such a long delay to publish? One could understand why a scientist might be embarrassed to publish a negative result when they'd fought so hard to defend a trial in the first place, but a supposedly vindicating positive result?

My theory is this: Prof Crawley and team genuinely never expected a positive result. Indeed, they went ahead with the trial expecting a negative result. They would then be able to trumpet this result as proof of 'we're good scientists really, see, and all those nasty ME patients who accuse us of manipulating trials are wrong.' So when the data showed that the LP kids gave higher self-reported scores and went to school more (or were sent to school by parents who erroneously now believed them to be cured and/or just suffering 'negative thoughts', more likely) it would have left the team with a dilemma:
  1. Have to go on record and back a treatment created by a faith healer, based on what is widely regarded to be pseudoscience (NLP)? or
  2. Admit that the whole methodology of this trial, and similar trials on CBT/GET in the past, is fatally flawed in that it is almost guaranteed to suffer from major placebo response and selection bias?
No wonder they weren't in a rush to publish! Sadly, it appears option 1 was chosen which is why many diversionary techniques were employed at the same time: the ME activist bogeyman, the researcher-working-under-a-false-name, the attacks on ME charities. All to try and draw attention away from the question what exactly is this process you're recommending?

Anyhow, that's just my theory, based on the delay to publication and the fact you can almost hear the embarrassment in the R4 interview and press release - lots of caveats and get-out clauses that can be pointed to in future, far less bullish than the PACE trial output.

(I really must go and do some work today...)

Dx Revision Watch

Suzy Chapman Owner of Dx Revision Watch
Last edited:

Esther12

He is a AFME type stooge to be used by EC and crowd. This is just a spectacle of hand-wringing for gullible patients so that they support CMRC and MEGA.

He's sharing some okay stuff too. I didn't think his talk at the CMRC was great, but it's worth being cautious [edit] in criticism of those who may not have had time to look into all the details (at least when they're not getting paid for claiming 'expertise').

Last edited:

Sidereal

BMJ piece is on sci hub now.

The Lightning Process is secretive about its methods, lacks overall medical supervision, and has a cultish quality because many of the therapists are former sufferers who deliver the programme with great conviction. Some children who do not benefit have said that they feel blamed for the failure.

Crawley said that the name did not help, since recovery is not lightning fast in most cases, and nor did the promise that it would help 100% of participants (a claim now modified). But new treatments were needed for a common and very debilitating condition, and her calculations suggested that the process would be cost effective. In the trial, all treatments were given by Lightning Process therapists and observed and recorded by members of the trial team. She gave credit to Parker for agreeing to participate in a trial that could have ruined his business, had the outcome been different.

Last edited: