• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Got 23andMe results, ran through GeneticGenie... Now what??

Critterina

Yes, I've only ever eaten Bob's GF oats, but, honestly, I don't think I ever had a problem with gluten or ANY food... no elimination or change in eating habit has changed the way I feel or made any symptoms better. :(

Reading down this post, I had a lot of questions...but this make me reconsider them. Ah, well,

TMG is trimethylglycine. A fairly inexpensive supplement that is substrate for the BHMT enzyme.

What low-histamine protocol are you using? I bought the low histamine chef cookbook, and it's all too high in histamines for me! Tomatoes??? Are you kidding??? Wasted $15. I have a concise list that works well for me; I will share if you want.

If none of the dietary restrictions help, why are you pursuing them? To me, the most severe diet was the low sulfur. If that doesn't help, it's probably not diet-related, in my opinion. At least for my body.

BTW, for histamine, you can eat eggs as long as you don't eat the whites raw (like in protein shakes).

For your glutathione, I'm not quite remembering it, but there are things that shift production to taurine instead of glutathione or away from it. I'm thinking B6 is a good guy (I need P5P because I'm still deficient with regular B6). I think NAC (N-acetyl cysteine) is a good guy, except if you're histamine intolerant - then it's a very bad guy. Maybe someone can expand on this.

I'm a little scattered tonight, myself. Hope some of this is helpful.

EMilo

Elizabethmilo.com
You've made a good start. I imagine you'll want to sort out the info you have before digging up more. :) You could check with @Valentijn about running your 23andme raw data through her rare alleles program if you want more info to stew over. ;)

I'm an ignoramus about methylation stuff, but there are a number of gurus here. Hopefully one will show up here and give you some assistance. In the meantime, you could check out the heartfixer website. Scroll down and click on your known mutation snps to learn more. I'm in a cognitive crash at the moment so heartfixer makes my brain explode, but it seems to be helping a lot of people understand their mutation snps and what you might do.
@SOC , I was finally able to find some brain power to look at heartfixer and, although I am still completely confused, I wanted to say thank you for helping me because I couldn't have found that info on my own!

EMilo

Elizabethmilo.com
@EMilo ,

The MTRR A66G affects methylation significantly. While MTHFR C667T affects (slows down) the production of methylfolate, MTRR affects (slows down) the use of methylfolate to methylate homocysteine. I take methylB12 (methylcobalamin) to remedy this in myself, but other people who have trouble with methylB12 often have good luck with hydroxyB12.

BHMT 08 also affects (slows down) the secondary pathway for methylating homocysteine. I also have this mutation, and I take TMG to remedy it.

A few thoughts:
1. If you chose to supplement with either methylB12 or TMG, don't try both at once.
2. If you start using one of the B12s, it may deplete what methylfolate you do have, so supplementing with methylfolate is something to consider - you may even want to try some to make sure you tolerate it and then try adding the B12.
3. Start with a small amount of whatever you try, and work your way up.

I'm no guru, but maybe these thoughts will give your and your sweetie some place to start. Best health to you!
@Critterina , My doctor gave me methylB12 with methylfolate in liquid form. One drop is 0.5mg B12 and 2mg of the folate. I'm going to start it today. Hoping I'm not jumping the gun into something adverse because I still haven't managed to research Yasko/Fredd/RichVK .... :(
Thank you for your help!

EMilo

Elizabethmilo.com
Is there a specific reason you stopped eating eggs? You should be eating lots of eggs unless you have some sort of a problem with them.

To support BHMT and cell membranes your diet needs to consist of high fat and high protein with a lot of leafy greens and vegetables.

The BHMT pathway is where your body makes phosphatidylcholine which makes up half of your cell membranes. You can support this pathway by taking things such as phosphatidylcholine, inositol, high fat foods (Good fat, Omega 6 and 3), eggs, TMG (I have not yet tried this supplement so I have no experience with it).

I would also be hitting the probiotics and digestive enzymes hard if you're not already doing it. It's important to repair your gut. I don't have any of your tests in front of me, but my assumption (note it is only an assumption) is that you probably have renegade Very Long Chain Fatty Acids (VLCFAs), and a way to help clear those out is by taking Butyric Acid which is a Short Chain Fatty Acid (SCFA).

Anymore questions i'll be happy to help. I'm just into this myself and have already made amazing progress. I was able to drive, by myself, to the store for the first time in 3 months.
Thank you, @Soundthealarm21 I definitely eat high fat and high protein (meat). I think I have a sensitivity to eggs. I;ve reintroduced them 3 times now and, becasue of the severity of my ME symptoms in general, can't quite tell one way or another whether I'm right. I'm on these crazy eliminations to repair my gut, but, so far, they don't seem to be helping.

Soundthealarm21

@EMilo

Diet, prebiotics, probiotics, fermented foods, butyric acid, phospholipids (Phosphatidylcholine, Phosphatidylserine, Phosphatidylinositol, Phosphatidlyethanolamine) are very important for repairing the gut. Butyric acid is the substance in the highest amount at the bottom of your gut lining before you get to the blood stream. It is a great way to decrease gut permeability.

EMilo

Elizabethmilo.com
@EMilo

Diet, prebiotics, probiotics, fermented foods, butyric acid, phospholipids (Phosphatidylcholine, Phosphatidylserine, Phosphatidylinositol, Phosphatidlyethanolamine) are very important for repairing the gut. Butyric acid is the substance in the highest amount at the bottom of your gut lining before you get to the blood stream. It is a great way to decrease gut permeability.
Prebiotics and butyric acid I'll look into. I take probiotics and phosphatidylserine for high nighttime cortisol. Can't do fermented foods because of histamine. I appreciate your help!