• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Gordon Medical: Metabolomics in CFS Study to be Published August 31

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.
@JaimeS with a publication date of 8/31 coming up so quickly, this would be a great time for some of your fancy journalists over at #MEAction to write and try to sell related stories, especially personal profile pieces!

alex3619

Where did this sudden interest come from?
Major breakthroughs in medicine occur when new technology becomes widely available and affordable. We are in the middle of ongoing medical revolutions ... plural. The two big breakthroughs were, I think, gene shears and high speed automated processing, driven by advances in computing technology and other things. I am not up to date on all the advances, but if someone makes a nifty science gadget that is affordable it metaphorically explodes into the research sphere.

alex3619

If we confirm our findings with Dr. Cheney’s patients, we will finally have a diagnostic test for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome!

I think this is most likely hyperbole. I think a more justified claim might be that we would finally have a clear research direction toward an accepted diagnostic test.

Two things that require multiple replication are sensitivity and specificity results in large cohorts. Which requires $$$$. Without both of these the scientific and medical communities will not be impressed. However some replication along these lines, even if not sufficient by themselves, will generate interest and potentially the funding necessary. Furthermore some of the existing large scale studies may generate the same results, creating even more momentum.

JaimeS

@JaimeS with a publication date of 8/31 coming up so quickly, this would be a great time for some of your fancy journalists over at #MEAction to write and try to sell related stories, especially personal profile pieces!

Pleased to say @Simon is writing on the article itself, once it's released!

It would be cool to do a profile of some of the researchers though. I could do some work on it, but I'm always interested in new recruits.

Hint hint?

-J