1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Google: No results found for "experiencing pain from noises".

Discussion in 'Neurological/Neuro-sensory' started by PhoenixDown, Oct 16, 2011.

1. PhoenixDown

PhoenixDown Senior Member

UK
    Anyone? Anyone at all?

2. Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins PJ Princess

perhaps try a different search term like 'noise sensitivity'? Best wishes.

3. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    My theory is that excess excitatory neurotransmitters (as a side effect of inability to make glutathione) make us extra sensitive to sensory input, including noise.

4. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member

England
    remarkable - I would have expected thousands of results from ear defender sellers, drum kit shops, whistle manufacturuers etc.

google really is slipping, it's bad enough they have replaced all the results which might actaully match what people want but to also not produce nice sales links is rediculous

edit - they've now fixed it - 1 result - this thread lol

5. busybee

busybee Senior Member

Do you mean Hyperacusis?

6. SickOfSickness

SickOfSickness Senior Member

US
    http://www.hyperacusis.org/ has some good info. It lists some related conditions called Misophonia (odd name) and 4S, and others. Then it has 2 links at the bottom.

When I think of noises being painful, I think migraines.

7. Sparrow

Sparrow Senior Member

Canada
    Dang... I used to have some decent sites for this, but I don't remember where I've hidden them. Nothing all that helpful, really, though.

I've had some sudden drops in hearing that never corrected themselves, and the last couple of times I had a period where sound was really physically painful to my ears (one in particular), and where sounds got really distorted (like broken electronics at first, with some lingering pitch problems - things still sound lower than they are in one ear). Thankfully those parts mostly passed. Was enough to spur me into doing some research, though. Unfortunately it seems like yet another one of those things that most of the medical community doesn't understand at all yet. I do recall that a few people had success treating the hearing loss with aldosterone or anti-candida meds (which sounds like a potential ME/CFS connection to me).

I'm curious if anyone else has had an unexplained drop in hearing (seems very odd that it would be timed with the ME/CFS, equally weird, but not related), sound distortion, pitch distortion, or actual physical ear pain from sounds. It isn't something I've heard mentioned much in the common lists of symptoms, but I know we all have a lot of our own craziness. Would be nice to know if it isn't just me...

8. ixchelkali

ixchelkali Senior Member

Long Beach, CA
    "hypersensitivity to sound" returns over a million hits.

9. rydra_wong

rydra_wong Guest

Supposedly magnesium fixes this. I take magnesium every day - 1 g. When I started taking DHEA 75 mg I was getting sensitive to noise on occasion but the DHEA caused me to be TOTALLY IMPERVIOUS to noise. I can blast my car radio as loud as the kids. Your DHEA:cortisol level governs how much stress u can handle and noise is a stress. This is all I know about it. Dunno if it helps

See more popular forum discussions.