• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Good websites?

Fuzzyhead

Does anyone know any good informative sites about even though your bloods show high levels of vitb12 you could still be deficient? I want to print one out and take to my gp to see if I can get him to read it.

Freddd

HI Fuzzyhead,

I don't know of any sites. However there is an interesting study done in the UK on treating peripheral neuropathy with MeCbl (2 doses, 120mcg or 1500mcg to test dose proportionality). This study admitted son the basis of symptoms, not test results. It turns out 62% of the RESPONDERS would not have been allowed in based on test results, their levels were "too high" to qualify. The average in the study was 700+pg/ml at the start with the highest being over 1500pg/ml. There are any number of journal studies saying why the tests are not predictive of who will benefit form MeCbl and/or AdoCbl, that only a trial can answer that question. And since there is no testing done of cerebral spinal fluid for cobalamin, Hcy or MMA there is no way of knowing if those are affected and they can be low CSF cobalamin when the body is high. They are separate compartments. If they did a uMMA then at least you would know if you are so low on AdoCbl that the house is burning down. However, there is no number that means sufficiency or asymptomatic. You are caught up on a essentially meaningless number. The studies could be found with Google scholar with some looking.

Is umma methylmalonic acid test?
Hi Fuzzyhead,
Yes, iuMMA is the urine methylmalonic acid test rather than the serum (blood) test that most doctors will run. The urine test is about 30 times more sensitive than the blood test for Methylmalonic acid.
Linda