1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 2 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. This second article in a 2-Part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS....
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Good news! Norwegian govt funds Rituximab trial - possibly partial, amount not yet announced

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Sasha, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    Thanku, Purple. I checked the original text, and have amended my previous post.
  2. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    Here are some relevant web links (some already posted in this thread), in case helpful...

MEandYou statement (English text is halfway down the page):
    http://mariasmetode.no/2013/06/forskningsradet-norwegian-research-council-today/

MEandYou Facebook homepage:
    https://www.facebook.com/MEYOU.no

All the funding projects announced by the Norwegian Research Council:
    http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=no&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=no&ie=UTF-8&u=http://www.forskningsradet.no/prognett-kliniskforskning/Nyheter/Disse_far_midler_fra_Klinisk_forskning/1253987111966/p1228296189450?WT.mc_id=facebook

And some info about Rituximab from the ME Association, in case helpful...

ME Association's Rituximab webpage, recently updated:
    http://www.meassociation.org.uk/?p=8459

Charles Shepherd's comments re possible funding of a Rituximab trial in the UK:
    https://www.facebook.com/permalink....&comment_id=3291504&offset=0&total_comments=7
  3. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    this is so very exciting. thanks Maria and everyone who helped
    snowathlete, Sasha and merylg like this.
  4. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    Even if it turns out only to be a cure for 25% of the severely ill. I do think it would be worth it.

Its amazing to think that in maybe 3 years time this study will be done and published and possibly causing a huge shift then for us in how we will be treated.
    snowathlete, Sasha, Valentijn and 2 others like this.
  5. Firestormm

Firestormm Senior Member

Cornwall England
    Also, trial would begin in January 2014 I think and take two years? Have I got that right? Am reading through thread now - when will the amount be confirmed, do you know? And, as it is important to some folk, do you happen to know how they will assess patient suitability e.g. the criteria of choice? Thanks.
  6. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    It also does it with place names, which can pretty mind-boggling. "Amsterdam" often gets translated into "London".
    Sherlock and snowathlete like this.
  7. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    There's another great Google-translated phrase from one Norwegian headline this morning: 'Merry for patients'!

Yes, it's merry for patients! :hug::balloons:
    Firestormm, snowathlete and Valentijn like this.
  8. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member

This is absolutely BRILLIANT news!!! Thanks so very much Maria and everyone else involved.
    Sasha and snowathlete like this.
  9. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    Some real effort on the part of the ME Association to get an independent validation Rituximab trial happening - everyone in the world needs this. one group doing all the trials wont be enough to convince govts. surely then, a really good reason to vote for them to win £2,000 in the contest that is running at the moment?
    WillowJ, SOC, Purple and 3 others like this.
  10. Firestormm

Firestormm Senior Member

Cornwall England
    I suppose that this would be the next step - to get another group to validate existing and future results; so yes some independence will be needed. I sincerely hope for now that the Norwegians get enough cash to do what needs doing from their end. If the results confirm the first study - then it's a game-changing opportunity of potentially mega proportions.

I wonder what the chances are of getting pharma - in the future if this trial is a success and then validated - to reduce the cost of these drugs? I mean the market will open-up big-time possibly. I don't know enough about this part of it.
  11. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    The patent is expiring very soon, so generics will be an option. This is probably the reason that the manufacturer isn't funding any of these studies.
    Firestormm, Sasha and snowathlete like this.
  12. Firestormm

Firestormm Senior Member

Cornwall England
    WillowJ, snowathlete and Bob like this.
  13. Sherlock

Sherlock bicarb for exercise recovery and taming candida

US
    RTX is a biologic drug. and so the rules for it are different. The thinking is that they are extremely difficult to manufacture correctly, so not just any company can be trusted to do it correctly.

But there is, and has been, a version made in India called Reditux. There is a thread where Redo and I were discussing that in the RTX forum (he told me about the India version), but that was a while ago and I don't recall why Reditux survived legal patent challenges. It is not exactly identical, because the process is not identical. I'd written and asked the pricing, it is cheaper.
    Firestormm and Sasha like this.
  14. Purple

Purple Bundle of purpliness

Hello Sherlock, can you please explain what biologic drug is in this context? And what the implications are, as opposed to chemical drugs? (besides difficult manufacturing)
    Sasha likes this.
  15. Sherlock

US
    Hi, Purple. RTX is an antibody. Further it's a chimera, because it's half human and half from a rodent (Chinese Hamster).They actually start out with hamster cancer cells (which are immortal and therefore never stop producing).

As an antibody, it's engineered to latch onto any B-cell, somewhat like a flag which signals other parts of the immune system to kill that cell. Antibodies aren't quite living, but they are a protein made by living cells.

An example of a biologic drug that is not an antibody is Enbrel. You might see commercials for that on tv all the time, it's mainly used so far for rheumatoid arthritis.

Does that answer your question, Purple?
    Valentijn, Firestormm and Sasha like this.
  16. Purple

Purple Bundle of purpliness

Sherlock - thank you, yes it does answer my question. So essentially it is called a biologic drug because it is made of materials originating from cells, as opposed to being made from chemicals mixed in test tubes to create other chemicals? (I hope that's not oversimplifying it) Is there therefore no way to create this antibody (protein) chemically, so speak, without the need for the cells as starting materials?
  17. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    The Rituximab company may well be working on a very similar new drug, that has the same effects as Rituximab, but can be patented. (I can't remember if I've read any details about this.)
    But in any case, I imagine that other pharma companies will likely be testing similar new drugs in clinical trials, to be brought to the market in the not too distant future.
    If a similar drug is brought to the market, then the patent-owning company might be interested in getting involved in ME research.
    Valentijn likes this.
  18. Sherlock

US
    That's a pretty good definition, Purple. OTOH, a normal product of cells like interferon can be produced synthetically (called a recombinant). But antibodies are too complex. They are Y-shaped, btw; but some newer ones are just a straight line, so they can get into smaller places that RTX can't.
    Firestormm and Purple like this.
  19. parvofighter

parvofighter Senior Member

Canada
    ONE MINUTE ADVOCACY: THANK MARIA, AND DONATE TO MEandYou!
    With thanks to Sasha for getting this started. NOW is a great time to thank Maria - and help speed up the Phase III Rituxan trial in Norway! Maria has explained that donations are still open at MEandYou, and the more we donate, the SOONER the trial will be completed. That translates into faster access to possible therapeutics; speedier conversion of those doctors who still don't "get" ME. It's all GOOD.
    Thank you!
    snowathlete, Bob and Sasha like this.
  20. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK

See more popular forum discussions.