1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Dr. Kerr, I presume?
Clark Ellis brings us a rare interview with British researcher Dr. Jonathan Kerr who is now living in Colombia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Good news for Americans without health insurance

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by shrewsbury, Nov 7, 2009.

1. shrewsbury

shrewsbury member

Good news for Americans without health insurance - maybe

Sweeping Health Care Plan Passes House

Luke Sharrett/The New York Times Published: November 7, 2009
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/08/health/policy/08health.html?_r=1&hp

WASHINGTON Handing President Obama a hard-fought victory, the House narrowly approved a sweeping overhaul of the nations health care system on Saturday, advancing legislation that the Democrats said could be their defining social policy achievement.

After a daylong clash with Republicans over what has been a Democratic goal for decades, lawmakers voted 220 to 215 to approve a plan that would cost $1.1 trillion over 10 years and that Democrats said would provide relief to Americans struggling to buy or hold on to health insurance.
  2. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    I'll believe it when I see it. From what I understand CFS will be pushed very hard through the psycholgical arm of this great health care bill.
    I'm not opposing or approving of this bill. It just seemed to me that it was just way too much, way too quick to do it right. I hope it works out and I geuss we will see.
  3. liverock

liverock Senior Member

UK
    Under this healthcare bill what doctors can test for and treatments carried out will be stricly defined and monitored by a government agency, this is clearly laid down in the terms of the bill and has caused a great deal of controversy among doctors, who feel that they are being professionally restricted and patients will suffer.

This restriction is to make sure costs are kept under control. My guess is you will end up with a system like the UK National Health system which is absolutely useless for CFS sufferers. The only treatment offered is either cognitive behavior therapy or phsychiatric evaluation.
    If you have a sympathetic doctor at the moment, who will help with getting some testing and drugs paid for through insurance, you may find this will stop
    under the new healthcare system.
  4. zoe.a.m.

zoe.a.m. Senior Member

Olympic Peninsula, Washington
    silver lining

I'm not sure exactly what it will look like to have government agencies in charge of what testing and treatments are approved, but it's unlikely that it will be worse than what many deal with now having private insurance. With very very (even Microsoft stopped their great coverage) few plans really covering what doctors declare as necessary or beneficial (and covering such a small % of what they do approve), we may find that government agencies are easier to work with--or no worse--than private insurance companies. I say this having worked for the federal and state government for many years, and having the 'pleasure' of dealing with endless bureaucracy!

It's also a good time in terms of the XMRV discovery and the Whittemores doing whatever exactly they're doing in Washington. When I was last at the WPI website, I saw the number of projects in the works, many of which are focused on other biomarkers that will be used to diagnose neuro-immune illnesses.

Had the Science article not broken, the CFSAC meeting not occurred (yeah, I know we're still waiting on years' worth of recommendations :(), the retroviral link not discovered, no WPI, etc. and if we were dependent upon what the CDC has said and done--we'd be in trouble. Luckily, that's not the case. I will continue to hold out hope that the retrovirus will garner enough enthusiasm in the general medical and scientific population to keep CFS in the news and that the biomarker tests (and hopefully pathogen tests as well) will be available sooner rather than later.

I still think competition will foster more choices and lower costs. It's also good to remember that having CFS acknowledged as being in the company of autism and more will garner more awareness. To have these illnesses under the same umbrella will be beneficial because parents of autistic children will demand care and treatment and the government would be ill advised to refuse that demand. Because of the prevalence of neuro-immune illnesses in children and adolescents, you'll likely see demands coming from schools as well. I really think these factors bode well.
  5. susan

susan Senior Member

Gold Coast Australia
    Australia

Everyone here gets great health care for little cost.
  6. fresh_eyes

fresh_eyes happy to be here

mountains of north carolina
    This legislation looks to me very different from the UK system (which does indeed sound like an absolute nightmare for ME sufferers). All it does is offer one public, nonprofit insurance option to compete with all the private for-profit insurers who are making the choices to limit our healthcare now. It's supported by many doctors, as shown by its endorsement by the American Medical Association. I'm hoping it will lead to me being able to get *some* medical care, because as of now I have none at all.
  7. Uno

Uno Senior Member

Brighton, United Kingdom
  8. fresh_eyes

fresh_eyes happy to be here

mountains of north carolina
    Hi Uno. I've been shocked by what I've learned about the UK health service's response to ME - it's a crime. I do hope you find care that helps you. Our system is awful too, in a different way. I'm hopeful that this XMRV development will bring changes for us all.

See more popular forum discussions.