• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Good Men Project: How Chronic Illness Transformed my Masculinity

Jamison Hill (@Jhillzer07 ) continues raising awareness through his writing.
During the week I took classes at Sonoma State University, a small commuter college about 50 miles north of San Francisco, and taught group fitness classes in the evenings. On weekends, I drove to San Francisco for modeling photo shoots and taught more fitness classes. On the occasional weekend when I had nothing else to do I threw on a pair of posing trunks — a skimpier version of a Speedo — applied a fake tan solution and competed in bodybuilding competitions. Although these competitions did not feature the same steroid-infused physiques seen in modern day muscle magazines or even Arnold Schwarzenegger’s prime, the on-stage pose-downs definitely had the same bravado. To train for the competitions, most, if not all of my days ended at the gym — late at night after all my endeavors were put to rest and I could blissfully lift weights for a couple of hours all by myself.

Then, in 2010, everything changed. I came down with a severe case of mononucleosis that never got better. I then discovered it’s common for some people to have lengthy cases of the illness, but after six months it’s considered something more severe. Eventually, I was diagnosed with myalgic encephalomyelitis.

https://goodmenproject.com/health/how-chronic-illness-transformed-my-masculinity-bbab/

Good to hear he has improved, perhaps his brain fog will improve as well? I unsubscribed from his emails after the rant on Trump, give the guy a chance!

GG
Nah, the orange oompah loompah doesn't deserve any chance at all. I'd prefer to support someone who is slowly making their way back from serious ME over an over privileged bully.

*GG*

Nah, the orange oompah loompah doesn't deserve any chance at all. I'd prefer to support someone who is slowly making their way back from serious ME over an over privileged bully.

Ha, ha, enjoy your great health care system.

GG

Ha, ha, enjoy your great health care system.

GG
Completely not getting your point. Is it that you are just laughing at the NHS in general? Or that you are comparing the US health care system to the UK one, with the implication that the US system is superior? If that is the case, do you mean the US system with Obamacare in place as is, Obamacare with the flaws that apparently are starting to become apparent dealt with, or with Trumpcare in place (seems to be highly unlikely to happen now as he's sulking about not getting his way, and telling huge lies about how he was never going to replace Obamacare in the first place).

If, and that is currently a big if, the NHS was properly funded then I would argue that for the vast majority of its users it is a far superior system to the US, no matter which flavour. But as the Tories seem intent on running it into the ground I anticipate that it will be sold off and we'll end up with a second rate version of the US system, and god help anyone who can't afford to go private.