• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Good days: Hate to go to bed?

LBS

My CFS is quite sensitive to something that happens during sleep. I'm sure as I read more here I'll find more information about what others think is happening in my brain that causes this, but the way this affects my life is interesting.

I find that I have (very) occasional really good days, when I wake up with energy and a clear head and the strength and stamina to move mountains. Yes, I wish I could figure out why this is, and then bottle it up for all the bad days!

I absolutely hate going to bed at night on these days because I know that falling asleep is likely to be the kiss of death for all this good energy. Of course, when I do have these good days, I try to pack too much into them, which doesn't help. Does anyone else have this fear of sleep? Are there things others do that help the quality of their sleep?

Hi LBS:

I know what you mean. I started having those days maybe a month ago. For me it's a sign that I'm getting better but maybe it's something different for you. Have you always had these days? are there times when they are more or less frequent? Have you thought of making a note of what you have eaten and what you did on the previous day to one of those exceptional days to see if there are any patterns? Maybe it's something that is happening with your CFS that's beyond your control, or maybe it's something in your environment that you can do something about to make those good days happen more frequently for you.

I'll tell you an interesting story. When I was in my twenties, long before I had any evidence of CFS, I was living in a vegetarian household and doing my best to adhere to a vegetarian diet. I was having terrible problems sleeping at night -- waking up at 3:00 AM and not being able to go to sleep. I had been unemployed for almost two years and so put my sleeping problems down to being depressed about not having a job. But it was very interesting because on days when I went to the gym and spent hours working out and getting rid of my frustration, my ensomnia was much worse. But on the one Sunday a month when I had dinner with my family and had to listen to them berating me for being an out of work university graduate, I slept like a top. I also got a good night's sleep when I ate with this particular group of friends. Sometimes it's the really obvious things that allude us because it took me over a year to figure out that the reason I slept well on nights when I'd either eaten with my family or with this group of friends is that they were all evenings I'd eaten meat. After I made this connection I started eating meat three times a week and this fixed my problem. I'm not saying that this is what's going on for you. But maybe there is something in the pattern of these good days that can help you figure out how to get more of them.

My CFS is quite sensitive to something that happens during sleep. I'm sure as I read more here I'll find more information about what others think is happening in my brain that causes this, but the way this affects my life is interesting.

I find that I have (very) occasional really good days, when I wake up with energy and a clear head and the strength and stamina to move mountains. Yes, I wish I could figure out why this is, and then bottle it up for all the bad days!

I absolutely hate going to bed at night on these days because I know that falling asleep is likely to be the kiss of death for all this good energy. Of course, when I do have these good days, I try to pack too much into them, which doesn't help. Does anyone else have this fear of sleep? Are there things others do that help the quality of their sleep?

Marg

I always hate going to bed becasue I always start feeling very good at night. I do not feel so good in the morning but doing better than last year by a long shot. I am trying to get on a regular sleeping schedule, not easy.