The Power and Pitfalls of Omics: George Davey Smith’s storming talk at ME/CFS conference
Read about the talk that stole the show at a recent ME/CFS conference in Simon McGrath's two-part blog.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Good article from a Jørgen Jelstad

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by user9876, Oct 22, 2012.

1. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

moderated with many others
    This is a good article talking about the need to have an accurate diagnosis for research.I think many of these discussions have been had on other threads but this article pulls things together nicely.

http://translate.google.com/transla...2/10/21/diagnoseforvirringen/&act=url&act=url

Original (http://debortgjemte.com/2012/10/21/diagnoseforvirringen/)

There is also a good discussion of the ME/CFS naming issues in one comment. Jorgen basically expresses the view that the name will change as causal mechanisms are found.

Bob, Enid and Snow Leopard like this.
  2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Hi user9876, the fact is the name WILL change as science advances, and we wont be doing it, the scientists will be. This has happened with all other diseases. I have been saying this for years. So the name is less relevant now than the diagnostic criteria used in studies - its advancing the science faster that is the reason to choose ME definitions. Bye, Alex

PS Since 1970 ME has been attributed to hysteria, and hence psychosomatic, by some psychiatrists - it was claimed that the Royal Free epidemic was mass hysteria. Removing the label CFS will not help with this unless strict ME diagnostic criteria can be mandated. To really get things moving we need an obvious, mechanistically understood, and highly validated biomarker.

Bob and user9876 like this.
  3. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

moderated with many others
    From a research perspective I quite like the approach of having a very restrictive set of patients say those with particular immune system issues. I don't think that would necessarily cover all ME patients but it may identify a consistant group to study. This may help enhance understanding and then move onto other clearly defineable groups

Bob likes this.
  4. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Thanks user9876 - that is good to see - friends in Norway and though they found Rituximab focussing attention on immune dysfunction, they continue to advance ME.

See more popular forum discussions.