1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A Little Poisoning Along the Road to ME/CFS
Looking at my symptoms, many of which are far less these days and some are gone, it would be easy to figure that I'd just been dealing with some heavy-duty menopausal issues.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Good article about Infection and Autoimmunity

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Daffodil, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

Infections and autoimmunity: the multifaceted relationship:

http://www.jleukbio.org/content/87/3/385.full

This article mentioned RNase L, as well as pDC's as in DeMeirleir's paper. Here is an exerpt:

NK17, leela, heapsreal and 2 others like this.
  2. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

I think this is exactly what is going on in our disease. demeirleir even mentions the same toll like receptors in his paper.

why are people giving money to the mircobiome study? it is not as simple as gut flora problems. gut flora problems are a symptom.

I find this so upsetting. so many of us are dying and all the wrong things are getting attention.

catly likes this.
  3. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

catly likes this.
  4. geraldt52

geraldt52

I don't think that Dr. Lipkin thinks that CFS is as simple as a gut flora problem either.

I believe he is looking at the gut in order to find a pathogen that might be responsible for the original insult...as an alternative to testing tissue to find the pathogen.

He has stated that he doesn't believe that tissue testing would be funded given the current state of knowledge, and has also stated that Columbia University wouldn't likely permit such research given the present state of knowledge.

He has expressed confidence that any pathogens that might be revealed in tissue testing will also reveal themselves in the gut. You have to admit that he has some experience in such things, and a track record that others would envy.

5. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

why doesn't anyone care that demeirleir already DID next generation sequencing on tissue and found this EXACT same thing!?

NK17 likes this.
  6. geraldt52

geraldt52

I'm sure at least some people do care.

The problem is that if a study isn't large enough to be considered adequate, and is done by someone deemed to be on the margins of research, then the results are easily dismissed, or just ignored. Quite a number of people have made quite a number of interesting "findings" over the years, but none of them have come to anything because they obviously are not considered "worthy" of follow-up by the people who control the money.

I don't think that Dr. Lipkin is the only human on the planet that can move CFS research forward. But, I do think that if Dr. Lipkin finds something, in the sort of study that he insists on, he will be very difficult to ignore in the way that so many others have been. That, I think, is the compelling reason to give money to The Microbiome Discovery Project.

Ritto, NK17, RL_sparky and 3 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.