• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Going slow on Molybdenum-Did You?

sscobalt93

@Misfit Toy The same thing happened to me at first. Things got better. I was able to quickly go up to 2000mcg per day. Just be cautious though because now I can't take hydroxy. I can however now tolerate methylb12 and methylfolate. I am only at 250 mcg per day though. I am going low and slow.

Edit: I also want to add I am starting on molybdenum. I have the 1mg capsules so I have to empty the cap onto a plate and chop it up with a credit card. It looks like I'm doing something illegal haha. I am starting on ~62mcg of it. I'll let you know how I do

Last edited:

aaron_c

@Misfit Toy et al:

I recently found that combining Boron with Molybdenum gave me terrible insomnia. I think I may have been somewhat deficient in Boron, so if you were sufficient in Boron, perhaps a little molybdenum would be too much. I posted a more complete story and the reasoning about how it could cause insomnia here. Most of it revolved around a comment by Dr. Roberts of Heartfixer about B12 and Boron increasing SUOX activity. I haven't experienced an issue with B12, but maybe this is part of the picture for yall?

Again, not sure if this is the issue, but it is another angle.

Misfit Toy

@aaron_c -I stopped the moly yesterday because for the past several weeks I felt like I was going crazy.

I don't like the fact that...it could be this, or it could be that and if you take one mineral, it can impact so many.

Last night I talked to a nutritionist that I found online who deals with methylation and MCAS and she is a functional medicine doc. She primarily deals with methylation. I have decided to work with her.

She said she feels I have an overabundance of copper and that moly causes you to dump it even more and helps you to release other metals as well. She doesn't believe in just going by the 23 and Me test because... just because the genetics shows this, it isn't telling the whole story..you need to have an entire mineral profile done along with doing specific tests for histamine and my MCAS issues. So, it should be based on individual needs instead of what the 23 and Me says...which makes sense.

I am going to follow her guidance and stop everything. I am so sick..so it makes sense. My CFS doc said 150 mcg of Moly was fine and she was completely dumbfounded. She felt that was way too high, showing that even my doc who THINKS he knows what he is doing regarding methylation and minerals...doesn't.

I have the whole SUOX situation, too.

She will evaluate my lab tests and urinalysis and we will go from there. I feel much better about this because it's all just guess work when you are doing it by yourself. And no one really knows what the hell is going on with you without some sort of testing.

But yes...thank you for the suggestion. : )

I also like the fact that she said...when and if I do decide to put you on anything...it will be in minute doses because you are too ill. THANK YOU.

@aaron_c -I stopped the moly yesterday because for the past several weeks I felt like I was going crazy.

I don't like the fact that...it could be this, or it could be that and if you take one mineral, it can impact so many.

Last night I talked to a nutritionist that I found online who deals with methylation and MCAS and she is a functional medicine doc. She primarily deals with methylation. I have decided to work with her.

She said she feels I have an overabundance of copper and that moly causes you to dump it even more and helps you to release other metals as well. She doesn't believe in just going by the 23 and Me test because... just because the genetics shows this, it isn't telling the whole story..you need to have an entire mineral profile done along with doing specific tests for histamine and my MCAS issues. So, it should be based on individual needs instead of what the 23 and Me says...which makes sense.

I am going to follow her guidance and stop everything. I am so sick..so it makes sense.

Misfit, how are you doing? I've read your responses here and I'm afraid I'm in your shoes but without any qualified docs to understand what the hell is going on with me. I struggle with insomnia, methylation issues, food and supplement sensitivities, paradoxical reactions, fatigue, adrenal stuff, mystical liver issues and so on. Everything is pretty much sub-clinical for me - all looks good on paper.

Are you making progress with this new doc? What have you learned?