• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Going slow on Molybdenum-Did You?

NilaJones

I could not find a small enough dose of molybdenum. I even tried dissolving a bit of a pill in a dropper bottle. I think I was using Thorne.

AndyPandy

Making the most of it
Hi there @Misfit Toy. I am sensitive to meds too and started HB12 at 150mcg once a week. After 4 weeks added in 25mcg Methylfolate once a week on the same day. See my thread on my methylation experiment.

When I started HB12 I felt like if I took a higher dose I could end up very agitated.

Best wishes, Andy

sscobalt93

I feel like there has to be some other pathway to improve methylation so we can tolerate our supplements better. I'm not sure what though. It just seems really odd that such small doses have such a profound effect..

AndyPandy

Making the most of it
A sibling with homozygous MTHFR C677T but not ME/CFS can tolerate large doses of MB12 and MF without any problems.

sscobalt93

IMO I think that these mutations don't do much on their own. I think something has to come into play to make us fall apart(heavy metals, viruses, bacteria, some sort of infection). And I think when that happens our methylation cycle just can't handle it and things back up and back up badly. I feel that once the damage is done its done and the body can't fix it by itself. This is all my own thoughts on the subject though.

Tammy

Ahh! That is scary I do not want to be heading that way. I have a high viral load for EBV. It's considered off the charts that high. Have you tried Lysine? I noticed it has helped me quite a bit for my EBV. I have to take breaks because it does make me more tired, but I feel better mentally
I just started l-lysine recently and it also makes me tired. I did a quick search and there is some sort of correlation between l-lysine and serotonin...........will look into it more tomorrow.

Edit for more info.............So l-lysine increases serotonin.......almost acts like a re-uptake inhibitor in a way. I guess I'll start taking my l-lysine before bed.

Last edited:

Tammy

Anyway......I have fever blisters in my mouth constantly.....viral.
I know you're probably tired of people recommending you to take this and that.........and I'm about ready to do the same! It sounds like you need l-lysine as well as zinc.

Last edited:

Tammy

@sscobalt93 -mine is also mild...my MTHFR gene. I will always feel my condition is a viral situation. It started off with EBV and just whacked out my system and then all of the other shit came on. Excuse the language, but that is what it is...shit.

Anyway......I have fever blisters in my mouth constantly.....viral.
The more I research EBV the more I find just how much of a 'mother' it is. I started off with EBV also with titers off the charts. I feel the exact same................it whacked the hell out of my system.

sscobalt93

Crazily enough when I started the lysine is when I broke put in my first ever cold sore! Not too happy about that.

@Tammy I think the reason we get tired in lysine is because it inhibits arginine. Which decreases NO production. I have since stopped the lysine as I don't think ut s helping too much anymore.

I was eating a LOT if hemp seeds right before my cold sore break out and supplementing with hemp protein. Both are very high in arginine. I think 1 gram+ of arginine per serving with no lysine.

Tammy

@Tammy I think the reason we get tired in lysine is because it inhibits arginine. Which decreases NO production. I have since stopped the lysine as I don't think ut s helping too much anymore.
I added to my post above...........found that l-lysine increases serotonin..........so who knows............I'm going to continue the l-lysine and take it before bed.

Misfit Toy

Today I added in hydroxy B12. I had stopped doing B12 and folate a week ago. Interestingly enough, lights went back on! and anxiety dissipated.

The question for me now is, how often do I take B12? Every day? I'm not sure at this point.

Today I added in hydroxy B12. I had stopped doing B12 and folate a week ago. Interestingly enough, lights went back on! and anxiety dissipated.

Great. I think the folate might be revving me up too. I agree it's a pain working out the dosages and brands. I've been trying on and off for a long time. I hope you (and I) keep at it.

Misfit Toy

@SickOfSickness -this whole thing is so interesting and complicated. Within an hour after the hydroxy I was like....WOW! Happy thoughts and less brain fog. But...here's hoping my already high level of pain doesn't go bonkers.

Can you stop the folate or decrease it?

caledonia

The question for me now is, how often do I take B12? Every day? I'm not sure at this point.

I think it kind of depends on your SNPs. I have both MTR and MTRR SNPs (the B12 Double Whammy). I supplement with B12 four times a day, every day.

On the other hand, I supplement with folate twice a week.

This keeps the methylation reaction at a low slow pace.

Misfit Toy

@caledonia-My SNP...was that what I posted that you reviewed, or is there a more detailed list than that? I know you review so many. I know that I was extremely low in B12 and in need of it, but folate was not needed. Or, not needed as much. You recommended folate at only 50 mcg for me. I don't want to add that in right now as I am trying to gauge how I do on the B12.

Thanks for your response. Trying to go low and slow.

caledonia

@caledonia-My SNP...was that what I posted that you reviewed, or is there a more detailed list than that? I know you review so many. I know that I was extremely low in B12 and in need of it, but folate was not needed. Or, not needed as much. You recommended folate at only 50 mcg for me. I don't want to add that in right now as I am trying to gauge how I do on the B12.

Thanks for your response. Trying to go low and slow.

Yes, that's what I commented on before.

I think you're on the right track - getting a handle on B12 first, then add in folate.

Just FYI - you might need even less folate than the 50mcg I mentioned depending on what happens with B12. In the end, you should be taking somewhat more B12 than folate so you don't get methyl trapping (causes methylation to slow or stop).