1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Fable known as The PACE Trial
Graham, Janelle and Bob, have once again excelled themselves with their latest take on the 'poisoned apple' that was the PACE Trial...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

going by symptoms alone?

Discussion in 'Genetic Testing and SNPs' started by oh_noes, May 27, 2013.

1. oh_noes

oh_noes

London, UK
    My second post here, whoop whoop. Hope everyone's having a good day/evening/morning :)

In my first post over in the introduction forum I say I have genetic methylation defects. Although I am yet to be tested, it's pretty clear from my list of diagnoses that I have quite a number of them.

Diagnosed:
    Autism
    Hashimoto's (auto-immune hypothyroid)
    PCOS (polycystic ovarian symdrome)
    PoTS (postural tachycardia syndrome)
    hypotension
    celiac disease
    anemia
    vit d deficiency
    Reynauds
    alopecia
    migraines with aura
    IBS (chronic constipation)
    lactose (casein) intolerance
    aniphilaxis (peanuts, wasps)
    idiopathic eosinophilia
    insomnia
    clinical depression

Undiagnosed:
    -ME/CFS (see first paragraph)
    -adrenal fatigue/exhaustion/Addison's (PCP does not take into account the various tests done by private labs which prove low cortisol and abnormally low aldosterone. Some suggest Addison's whilst others just say adrenal fatigue)
    -histamitosis
    -nightshade intolerance
    -fructose intolerance

My question is, is it possible to diagnose yourself on symptoms and diagnosed illnesses alone?

I live in the UK and we have no such genetic testing here. Dr. Yasko (who is my preference for testing) has not replied to my email as to whether she ships abroad, and although 23andme do they do not seem to test for several of the SNPs implicated in my illnesses. If I have no choice but to use 23andme, is it safe to assume that if I'm symptomatic of the SNPs they do not test, I am +/+ or at the very least +/- in those SNPs?

Thanks in advance :)
  2. paul80

paul80

I'm in UK too and want to get this test done.

I was going to start a thread as i too want to know where the best place for me to get this test is.
  3. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    oh_noes

I'd say that trying to diagnose ourselves by symptoms could be pretty chancy as so many symptoms overlap many diseases and conditions. I know this is a big problem when you don't have good access to the right testing, but I'd try to get as much testing as you can.

Best wishes,
    Sushi
    oh_noes and Valentijn like this.
  4. oh_noes

oh_noes

London, UK
    Thanks for the replies paul80 and Sushi (and Sushi, love your name btw. I'd eat sushi till it came out my ears if I didn't have a horrendous reaction to it).

Fortunately, Dr. Amy Yasko's staff got back to me saying they do ship to the UK, so I ordered her nutrigenomics test. It's expensive but I would honest get further into debt trying to improve my health. So Paul, if you're able or willing to spend around £350, you can get Dr. Amy's test. Otherwise 23andme are good, for the equivalent of £70, but they don't test for as many genes as Dr. Amy's nor do they interpret the results for you.

See more popular forum discussions.