Invisible Illness Awareness Week 2016: Our Voices Need to Be Heard
Never heard of Invisible Illness Awareness Week? You're not alone. Jody Smith sheds a little light to make it more visible
Discuss the article on the Forums.

GMC suspends Nigel Speight

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by worldbackwards, Apr 23, 2016.

1. worldbackwards

worldbackwards A unique snowflake

Earth
    Nauseating.

2. Cheshire

Cheshire Senior Member

Yes nauseating is the correct term. Meanwhile, Crawley can continue to built up her carreer at the expense of children suffering from ME CFS.

Izola, Cornishbird, Woolie and 17 others like this.
  3. aaron_c

aaron_c Senior Member

Does anyone know if there is a document explaining why they ruled this way?

OK, just googled a little. I guess there was more history to this than I had thought: He wrote an op-ed in the Guardian attacking a GMC decision (unrelated to ME/CFS) back in 2007. I can see that he and GMC haven't been on friendly terms for some time.

Invisible Woman and TiredSam like this.
  4. 2kidswithME

2kidswithME

Oxfordshire, England
    Yes, would really like to know more about why this happened.

He has been involved in over 30 child protection cases supporting families whose children have ME, and been successful in most instances. Almost certainly this has brought him into conflict with others in the field, enough said. I heard him speak at the MEA Question Time in Oxford a couple years ago, and he's one of the best people in the field.

Sending him my best wishes.

Izola, Cornishbird, helen1 and 18 others like this.
  5. Kati

Kati Patient in training

Probably because he was so successful in believing young patients and their families and helpful to boot, which would have been terribly denigrating, embarrassing and inconvenient for the treating physician.

Cornishbird, Woolie, L'engle and 11 others like this.
  6. justy

justy Donate Advocate Demonstrate

U.K
    I'm so saddened to hear this news today. Dr Speight has been a lifeline for families of children with ME, and for young people with ME for so many years - he is a marvellous speaker and an empathic and kind human being. Just awful.

7. Cheshire

Cheshire Senior Member

8. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    I really wish we'd run a crowdfund for his legal representation, as it all boils down to the strength of your legal representation. (Well, I'm assuming that GMC proceedings have similarities to legal proceedings.) Perhaps he could appeal the decision, and then we could run a crowdfund for the appeal?

9. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

It is time for the role and functioning of the GMC as a quasi judicial authority to be subjected to formal review. It seems unable to regulate itself.

It is almost as if there is afoot a conspiracy to pervert the course of justice.

Izola, Jennifer J, Aurator and 6 others like this.
  10. charles shepherd

charles shepherd Senior Member

I have been in regular contact with my friend and colleague Dr Nigel Speight before, during and after the hearing to offer my full and continuing support

I have provided the General Medical Council with a detailed letter of support from The ME Association in relation to every aspect of his work involving children and adolescents with ME/CFS

I have also co-ordinated a joint letter of support from ME/CFS charities, professional colleagues and parents of children with ME/CFS in the UK and from abroad

This is clearly very sad news but I don't want to do or say anything more at this point

Dr Speight is also the MEA honorary paediatric medical adviser and we will be issuing a proper statement next week after the situation has been discussed by trustees on Monday (25th April)

MEA website statement with details of the restrictions imposed by the GMC:

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/201...l-speights-licence-to-practice-23-april-2016/

Dr Charles Shepherd

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  11. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    @charles shepherd, I understand that you don't want to say anything more right now, but could you please pass on our best wishes from Phoenix Rising, and let him know that our gratitude and respect for his work has no bounds. Also, if he is able to appeal the GMC decision could you please raise the possibility of a crowdfund to help towards legal and/or administration expenses. I'm certain that we could set one up very quickly - immediately if required - and that it would draw quite a bit of interest from the community. There need be no work or involvement on the part of Dr Speight. All we would need to know is that it would be helpful. Let me know if you'd like to discuss this privately.

12. Justin30

Justin30 Senior Member

A sad day for a Dr that appears to be one of the good guys.....

Are all the Psychs over their trying to ruin the careers of ME/CFS Drs that actually attempt to help their patients?

justy, Aurator, beaker and 3 others like this.
  13. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Question - is this enshrining abuse of very young ME patients in the UK and even much of Europe?

14. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

I think the question needs to be addressed in a slightly different form.

An adversarial legal system such as ours cannot function properly if one side is prevented from calling upon the expertise that it wishes to present. It seems to be coming to the point where you can call any expert as long as he/she supports the official line. If the courts are complicit in preventing the proper questioning of the state's case it is inevitable that miscarriages of justice will occur-as they always do. This is potentially a very serious matter for the integrity of the judicial system and the faith which the populace can be expected to have in it.

It may be that in the inquisitorial systems in place on the continent a decision such as this would have a different impact.

One recognises that it would be inappropriate to consider this too closely, but ask yourself, without commenting, what happens if Dr Speight has been instructed to advise and provide evidence in a an ongoing, purely hypothetical, case. Would it be possible for there now to be a fair hearing?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  15. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    remarkable

MeSci likes this.
  16. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Disturbing.

ukxmrv, mango, MeSci and 2 others like this.
  17. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

The timing seems interesting.
    The GMC has now put themselves under a microscope. Hope they enjoy the scrutiny.

http://www.gmc-uk.org/about/chief_executive.asp

The CEO comes for a previous job at something called The King's fund think tank.
    A quote from their statement of values:
    We act with integrity
    We strive to do what's right and are not afraid to ‘speak truth to power’. We base our views on what the evidence tells us; we are open to new perspectives and ideas and are respectful of difference.

Orwellian!

Edit to add: I guess this is a move in a last ditch effort to do damage to people with ME and their supporters. The 'evidence' of PACE is still standing at the moment and the clock is ticking.

18. Kati

Kati Patient in training

This is a reminder maybe of being careful when speaking about practitioners online, and their treatment protocols. It seems to me that there are 'predators' out there to go after them. It's sad that we need to be mindful of that. :(

19. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    It's utterly nonsensical that he's been deemed perfectly fit to treat children for all manner of illnesses, no doubt making critical decisions as a consultant, but he can't treat them for ME. That's bonkers.

20. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

This quote from wiki suggests an unfortunate link between The Kings Fund and the Department of Health

INDEPENDENCE
    Former NHS Trust Chief Executive Officer Gary Walker has claimed that the King's Fund has received over £511,000 from the Department of Health since 2010, (as of 10 April 2014)

See more popular forum discussions.