1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 2: Pathogens and the Gut
Mark Berry continues his series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with the emphasis shifting from autoimmunity to pathogens and the gut ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Gluten Sensitivity: What does it really mean?

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by Firestormm, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    Interesting commentary from back in March 2013, from Scientific American, shared on Facebook from a friend. Thought I'd repost here as some of you might find it similarly interesting:

Valentijn and Esther12 like this.
  2. minkeygirl

minkeygirl Narcissism = lack of self awareness

Left Coast
    Have you considered that you have IBS of ? Certain foods, highly fatty, high fibers and more cause horrible bloat, cramps, gas and pain.

3. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    The research done on celiac was pretty flawed across the board which is another reason it has taken so long to identify non-celiac gluten disease as a problem. It's become very clear to me in the past year that gluten is no good. I am planning to go gluten free on Jan 1 (and eating cheesecake and stuffing every day until then. LOL).

Listen to this podcast if you are interested in the crap science that was done around gluten in the past and where things stand now. It's well worth an hour of your time.

http://undergroundwellness.com/podcast-232-seriously-stop-eating-gluten/

MeSci, Valentijn and maryb like this.
  4. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    I'm in the go gluten free if you have ME camp - okay lots will disagree but if you don't try you'll never know and it may be a win win situation.
    going gluten free is not an easy feat though - for the past 5? yrs I've been gluten and sugar free (as well as free from a load of other stuff) until a few weeks ago - what happened was Mrs Crimbles coconut macaroons........
    I can't stop eating the bloody things, sugar is far harder to give up than gluten - what's happend to my super duper will power, that which made me feel so superior when by-passing the cake aisle with ease over the past few years:)

Snowdrop, Valentijn and aimossy like this.
  5. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    I agree ... food intolerances are so ridiculously common in ME patients that it's probably worthwhile for all of us to trial avoiding the worst offenders for a while, or even doing a proper elimination diet. It's no cure, but it often results in a reduction of nasty symptoms.

For me it helps to replace naughty gluten foods with naughty gluten-free foods. So if I'm suffering from pie-envy, I might bake a batch of gluten-free Frisian Sugar Bread (think cinnamon rolls, in loaf form) in my bread maker. I also want to look into making pie crusts, pizza crusts, cookies etc. And we have a store nearby with egg replacer, which could help in making my dreams a reality, since I'm "intolerant" of egg as well.

Sometimes I do a couple loaves per week (though not sugar loaves that often), but sometimes once a month if I just don't crave the grains or butter and sugar toppings.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
    maryb likes this.
  6. Vordhosbn

Vordhosbn

UK
    Very interesting, thanks.

Even for a lifelong coeliac it can be difficult to not accidentally consume gluten. Products listed as "wheat free" and supposedly gluten free ingredients like barley malt or GF oats occasionally trip me up.

So doing a gluten exclusion trial is not always straightforward; I wonder if this is why restricted diets based on whole foods are so effective for some. I have also noticed I get worse skin problems from eating prepackaged gluten free foods, and am beginning to wonder if it is the gums etc used to replace to gluten. People trying to go gluten free probably load up on those too.

I just want an easy recipe for a versatile tortilla/pizza/naan thing and something crunchy like breadsticks and I'd be set I think.

On an unrelated note I had to remove three typos writing this, all of which spelt "arse" and one was even in all capitals. Wonder if my body is trying to tell me something...

7. xchocoholic

xchocoholic Senior Member

Florida
    The group of medical professionals involved in the gluten summit that just ended are leading the pack on this. I recognize many of their names from back in 2005 when I first looked for credible
    info about gluten.

Gluten cross contamination is a big problem for anyone trying to avoid gluten but for me it's almost impossible avoiding those foods that may be cross contaminated. I'm just too hungry and can't keep fresh foods available due to fatigue. The cost of organic food can be prohibited too.

I've found that taking dpp-iv helps.

Tc ... x

8. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    @Vordhosbn
    I don't have anything that 'may' have some form of gluten, like barley malt or oats - I tried an alcohol/gluten free beer, but felt rubbish afterwards, same with gluten free oats, I have tolerated them occasionally if I take a Trienza enzyme at the same time, but in the main leave them alone - so I have to accept massive limitations if I want to stay within my walking wounded state, I hate cooking anyway so have a very boring diet, food was never very important to me before I got ill, but now its a big part of every day which I hate, very envious of people like @Valentijn who make the effort to make fresh nice bread etc, I'm sure its much better for you than the bought stuff, you're right it does have all sorts of rubbish like gum in it.

xchocoholic likes this.
  9. Helen

Helen Senior Member

xchocoholic likes this.
  10. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    xchocoholic likes this.
  11. xchocoholic

Florida
    I think it does. If I eat out at whole foods ,etc where I'm sure there's gluten cc, and take 1 before and 1 after and maybe 1 during I don't react. I'm more careful about gluten cc in what processed foods I eat at home but when out the chances are much greater.

It's not cheap tho so I limit how often I use these.

I've met others who use this and say it helps them too. Of course it's not a good idea to push the limit and expose oneself to gluten regularly.

I've tried enzymedicas glutenease and country life. I recently was made aware of a dpp-iv that contained gluten so be sure to read the labels.

tc ... x

maryb likes this.
  12. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    Word of advice: My allergies were tricky so the gluten free trail didn't work because I am allergic to rice also, so all gluten free I tried was based on brown rice!!!. Also, I am allergic to celery, green beans... the trickiest one GARLIC and tomato! I never had bloating nor normal food allergy symptoms, just inflammation. My clue was I had high IL17 so I decided to test for food allergies. Just a thought.

xchocoholic and maryb like this.
  13. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    You may want to look at these two threads about non-coeliac gluten sensitivity too:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...-diet-helps-people-with-diarrhoeal-ibs.24467/

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...y-without-celiac-disease-—-a-new-twist.26129/

I haven't really had much difficulty avoiding gluten on the whole, although I don't think I am super-sensitive and can probably tolerate trace amounts. One of my favourite foods was crusty wholemeal bread, so it did need some will-power at first, but I knew I had to try. I eventually found a good-value and good-tasting GF bread, an own-brand product by the low-price UK supermarket ASDA! Soon after I started buying this, it suddenly became unavailable and was replaced by a more-expensive one which was not vegan (so no good for me). Aghast, I mentioned my dismay in my customer feedback one day, and/but it reappeared, thank goodness.

It has been SOOOO worthwhile cutting out gluten and reducing grains and sugar generally. I'm sure it has contributed to my greatly-improved bowel function and the extreme mildness of my PEM recently despite significant exertion.

Re eating out, I don't do this much, but there are pubs and eateries that cater very well for coeliacs (and therefore other gluten-sensitives), some even for people like me who are also vegan, and I'm talking about a part of the country generally regarded as rather backward!

Snow Leopard and xchocoholic like this.
  14. xchocoholic

Florida
    Except for Whole Foods, I stick to restaurants that have gf menus. WF will tell you that their buffet style processed food section isn't gf but I've found "safe" options that I stick with. They provide allergen labels on each dish.

I recently started experimenting with xo baking company baking mix. It's grain free. Ingredients are cassava, potato, coconut and xanthum gum. My first attempt at banana bread muffins didn't get done in the middle despite extending the time on a lower temp. They taste great tho. : )

Valentijn and MeSci like this.
  15. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    Sounds good! I'm not into baking myself but I have a friend who has joined me in going low-carb/gluten free who has ME and POTS and is into baking, and I recommended the UK online shop Goodness Direct who have a good GF range. Here is their GF baking products page.

xchocoholic and maryb like this.
  16. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    @MeSci
    thats a a good link -- when I get round to putting my sensible head on I may be able to work out how to make coconut macaroons without sugar:)

See more popular forum discussions.