The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Gluten-free diet reduces adiposity, inflammation and insulin resistance

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by natasa778, Dec 22, 2012.

1. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

http://www.jnutbio.com/article/S0955-2863(12)00226-4/abstract

MishMash, Marco and merylg like this.
  2. LisaGoddard

LisaGoddard Senior Member

Interesting article! I am about to start my gluten-free diet and hope it helps with my weight gain, inflammation and blood sugar problems. Thanks for posting.
    Kind regards,
    Lisa

3. adreno

adreno PR activist

A gluten and casein free diet has been the best thing I ever did for my gut.

maryb and golden like this.
  4. golden

golden Senior Member

Clear Light
    I was told by my G.P. that there was no blood test for coeliac disease. I believe thus is one of the things that showed be ruled out before an M.E. diagnoses is given.

I tried 2-3 months free from wheat and felt a bit better but not much. I also was told by a pharmacist that there was a blood test and so I bought it and did it at home. It was negative. Later I discovered you should be eating wheat when taking this test!!

I started wheat again just because its convenient.

I have now not eaten wheat or gluten for many months and I agree with Adreno, in that I believe it to be one of the best things I hAve done.

I think I never gave it a long enough trial in the past and now I am thinking one year or even two years would be a reasonable length if time to see results.

5. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I went gluten-free a few weeks ago. It reduced my years-long, chronic sinusitis within a day sufficiently that I can now breathe lying on my side at night - previously I couldn't because my nose would get too stuffed up.

However, I've put on weight! I increased my intake of nuts and cheese and 90% Lindt chocolate (oops) and I think that's what did it. I was over-optimistic about the weight-loss claims. Just watch your overall calorie intake! :)

cigana, sianrecovery and Valentijn like this.
  6. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    Been gluten/casein/egg/sugar free for a few years now, I'm not slim by any means as I need carbs,eat a lot of potatoes and gluten free bread, brown rice etc.
    Always worth a try to try to resolve some symptoms.

Adreno where do you get your calcium from in your diet? I have a problem due to a casein free diet, have tried goat's milk which is lower I think but don't tolerate it much better. Is sheep's milk any lower?

7. adreno

adreno PR activist

Greens contains lots of calcium. But I also take supplements.

8. Mij

Mij Senior Member

I went on a gluten free diet for one year a few years ago. My stomach went flat with no bloating. My digestion was much improved but overall I can't say I felt any better.

The diet was much easier than I expected with all the brown rice noodles and gluten free substitutes available these days.

Valentijn likes this.
  9. Nielk

Nielk

It seems to me that most if not all people feel better on a gluten free diet. Is there any downside to adhering it?

10. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

Biscuits, cake, muffins, cupcakes, cookies, pies, waffles, pancakes, many sauces, some processed meats, fast food, etc ... things that can be a lot harder to find or make without gluten :p

But if you can handle the deprivation and cravings, you'll probably live longer :thumbsup:

See more popular forum discussions.