1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Join the National PR Campaign for ME: Power to the Patient (P2tP)
Have you had enough of all the neglect and abuse of ME/CFS patients? Gabby Klein says now is the time for a National PR Campaign for ME/CFS to impress a change. Join the Patient Revolution to restore power to ME patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Glutathione

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by undcvr, Jul 1, 2013.

1. undcvr

undcvr Senior Member

NYC
    I wud like to know if anybody here is on glutathione and is benefitting from it. Not NAC, not acetyl glutathione but just glutathione itself. If you are I would like to know the dosage and how you are taking it for it to benefit you. I know all about the talk that glutathione does not get absorbed intact so please don't post anything about that, this post is all about questioning that assumption.

Thank you.

2. SOC

SOC Senior Member

USA
    Earlyish in my illness I had benefit from inhaled (nebulized) glutathione. I've tried sublingual since without a noticeable effect. Can't help with info on any other form. I'll be interested to hear if you discover anything to refute the assumption that oral glutathione does not get absorbed intact. Is it actually an assumption, as in there's no scientific evidence?

3. undcvr

undcvr Senior Member

NYC
    There is evidence based on one experiment a long time ago, the dosage used was 3gm. I'm taking 1gm of glutathione 2X a day on an empty stomach and with Tums. I think I am feeling better but I want to know it is just all in my head or if it is actually working. I think that nac will not work if the cfs is serious becos the pathway for the production of glutathione to nac can be blocked up with toxins. On the other hand acetyl glutathione is a very expensive supplement while just glutathione itself is still one of the most popular supplements out there.

SOC likes this.
  4. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    Hip said he gets good results from taking glutathione transdermally (with regular reduced glutathione). There are several pros and cons regarding glutathione supplementation which I'm too tired to look for since I don't remember them offhand. Rich recommends raising glutathione through methylation rather than supplementing with glutathione. Someone else said they were able to raise glutathione by getting their Krebs cycle functioning properly. Dr. Nathan said something about taking glutathione could possibly cause the body to downregulate glutathione production. I'm not sure if this theory is backed up by any clinical trials, but I haven't had time to research this (partially because I don't know what keywords to search for). I decided to stop supplementing with it until I can look into this. There were a few times a couple months ago after I had stopped glutathione where I experienced anxiety and taking glutathione sublingually calmed me down. I tried this because Rich said that low levels of glutathione in the brain (specifically the astrocytes) could cause a build up of glutamate.

helen1 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.