• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Glutathione recyclers ?

vortex

Has anyone experimented with glutathione recyclers ? @Fredd I know you don't like glutathione precursors but have you tried recyclers like alpha lipoid acid etc ?

I am wondering that there might be an advantage to using them to boost glutathione levels what would normally be achieve for a given methylfolate level.

The advantage would be that since people seem to only tolerate a certain amount of methylfolate before suffering from over methylation etc. they are limited to whatever glutathione level that generates.

But if you had a recycler, you could overcome that level and potentially heal better or faster with less symptoms caused by methylation.

Christopher

Has anyone experimented with glutathione recyclers ? @Fredd I know you don't like glutathione precursors but have you tried recyclers like alpha lipoid acid etc ?

I am wondering that there might be an advantage to using them to boost glutathione levels what would normally be achieve for a given methylfolate level.

The advantage would be that since people seem to only tolerate a certain amount of methylfolate before suffering from over methylation etc. they are limited to whatever glutathione level that generates.

But if you had a recycler, you could overcome that level and potentially heal better or faster with less symptoms caused by methylation.

Small amounts of ALA really screwed up my body. I'm guessing it was stirring up mercury.

PeterPositive

Me too I don't do well on ALA. Tried what I thought was a moderately low does (300mg) and got a fabulous headache that lasted almost 24 hours :( I then realized I could have tried a smaller dose, but the product came in sublingual granules for a total of 600mg a dose, which I cut in halves.

I do take oral glutathione: ~1500mg of Jarrow "Reduced Glutathione"... which, against most of what I read around here, works just fine: no side effects and it helps relieving some inflammatory and gut symptoms.

I also accompany it with Vit C (1000mg), NADH (6mg), Selenium (150mcg), Milk thistle and vitamins A and E.
These should help protecting and recycling the GSH.

Cheers

Last edited:

caledonia

I had trouble with ALA too, stirring up mercury (100mg).
Yasko suggests tiny sprinkles.

Andrew Cutler uses higher doses every four hours for his mercury removal protocol.

Ben Lynch suggests using NAD with glutathione to make sure you're making the good reduced kind and not the bad oxidized kind.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Never had an issue with ala and used doses of 600mg twice a day but settled on 300mg twice a day.
I have also used methylfolate in higher doses straight off the bat without any issues.

I often wonder if I haven't had any issues with methylation as I have been on a cocktail of antioxidants even before cfs.

There has to be more than one way to skin a cat.
A friend of mine from of mine does very well on high doses of glutathione iv, this is apparently something many cfsers can't tolerate, again everyone is different.

Freddd

Never had an issue with ala and used doses of 600mg twice a day but settled on 300mg twice a day.
I have also used methylfolate in higher doses straight off the bat without any issues.

I often wonder if I haven't had any issues with methylation as I have been on a cocktail of antioxidants even before cfs.

There has to be more than one way to skin a cat.
A friend of mine from of mine does very well on high doses of glutathione iv, this is apparently something many cfsers can't tolerate, again everyone is different.

Hi Heapsreal,

The glutathione situation is very paradoxical seeming and difficult to understand. In the N=10 trial I and 9 others did more than 5 years ago was on 10 people with good success on the Active B12 Protocol. I used NAC and l-glutamine and had started with MAXGL, others used a variety of precursors or whey or IV glutathione.. They all worked to generate glutathione. All 10, 100%, had increased neurological damage, were in methyltrap and all had startup all over again when getting off the glutathione. All of us were taking larger than average MeCbl doses and we could see it dramatically flushed out in the urine by glutathione right off the bat\ putting the bodies into methyltrap in hours. It took the people on whey a couple of days until they went into methyltrap.

Some people find the feelings of methylation very unpleasant or upsetting or whatever. Glutathione stops those feelings fast. Nerves that are generating pain all quiet down and "feel" better. In the trial the glutathione, we all went into methyltrap within 24 hours. Inflammation started increasing by leaps and bounds. Asthma, allergies, whole body inflammation and pain and in a few weeks it was obvious to all of us that we were having demyelination episodes making out neurological damage worse. People who never get out of partial methylation block or methyltrap and gotten healing going don't have the same return of symptoms as they never got rid of them in the first place.

There may be some amount that can be taken that is genuinely beneficial but that is unknown. There are quite a few people who were unable to get methylation going while taking it. and for whom it started up as soon as they stopped. I think the understanding of it is difficult because of the paradoxical aspects.

vortex

Hi Heapsreal,

The glutathione situation is very paradoxical seeming and difficult to understand. In the N=10 trial I and 9 others did more than 5 years ago was on 10 people with good success on the Active B12 Protocol. I used NAC and l-glutamine and had started with MAXGL, others used a variety of precursors or whey or IV glutathione.. They all worked to generate glutathione. All 10, 100%, had increased neurological damage, were in methyltrap and all had startup all over again when getting off the glutathione. All of us were taking larger than average MeCbl doses and we could see it dramatically flushed out in the urine by glutathione right off the bat\ putting the bodies into methyltrap in hours. It took the people on whey a couple of days until they went into methyltrap.

Some people find the feelings of methylation very unpleasant or upsetting or whatever. Glutathione stops those feelings fast. Nerves that are generating pain all quiet down and "feel" better. In the trial the glutathione, we all went into methyltrap within 24 hours. Inflammation started increasing by leaps and bounds. Asthma, allergies, whole body inflammation and pain and in a few weeks it was obvious to all of us that we were having demyelination episodes making out neurological damage worse. People who never get out of partial methylation block or methyltrap and gotten healing going don't have the same return of symptoms as they never got rid of them in the first place.

There may be some amount that can be taken that is genuinely beneficial but that is unknown. There are quite a few people who were unable to get methylation going while taking it. and for whom it started up as soon as they stopped. I think the understanding of it is difficult because of the paradoxical aspects.

Hey Fredd, I posted this because I remember you having issues with glutathione and precursors, my understanding was that it was interfering with the methylation or robbing the b-12 or methylfolate somehow. So taking something that was intended to reach the inside of the cell somehow interfered with other processes before it got to its destination.

But since the methylation supps were intending to make glutathione as the final goal, then glutathione is not evil itself as long at it is inside the cell. So I thought any glutathione that was generated was inside the cell via methylation was safe and the goal, but glutathione gets oxidized or reduced during its use. So if you could recycle the glutathione that was already inside the cell it wouldnt interfere with or cause the issues you were having because you were only affecting the glutatione inside the cell. I guess what I am asking is what has been your experience with glutathione recyclers versus taking glutathione or precursors ?

aaron_c

@vortex

I have also wondered about taking NADPH to recycle glutathione... unfortunately, it is not available as a supplement, and I can't tolerate much niacin. Also, it does things other than recycle glutathione, and I don't know if larger amounts would actually be safe. But I have wondered.