• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Glutathione Patch

Helen

Thanks @PeterPositive for the correct link. Last weekend I listened to a talk about " Genetic variation in detoxification" and the professor that lectured mentioned grape fruit juice and milk thistle as two things among others to be careful with not to lower the detoxification in Phase I.

If substances proceed undetoxed to Phase II (due to too low enzyme activity for some reason-s) , more toxins than before might be present.

Those with CBS issues need to be careful with Milk Thistle as it is high sulphur(or thiols?) It messed me up for months last year..........Also high in salicylates for anybody who has trouble with them. Seems to me that a lot of the liver support supplements are tricky for us CBS people. Anybody know a good one that is low salicylate and low thiol? Or am I asking for the earth?!

PeterPositive

Thanks @PeterPositive for the correct link. Last weekend I listened to a talk about " Genetic variation in detoxification" and the professor that lectured mentioned grape fruit juice and milk thistle as two things among others to be careful with not to lower the detoxification in Phase I.
It's an interesting idea but I am not sure if the evidence is really strong for it. The cited paper is from 2000 while the review I posted is from 2013 and doesn't seem to really support the findings. Do you know of more sources that corroborate the hypothesis?

Also, has anyone tried Desmodium for liver detox/support?

Helen

It's an interesting idea but I am not sure if the evidence is really strong for it. The cited paper is from 2000 while the review I posted is from 2013 and doesn't seem to really support the findings. Do you know of more sources that corroborate the hypothesis?

Also, has anyone tried Desmodium for liver detox/support?

I crashed after attending the meeting with the actual talk so I am not able to go into details about studies on this issue. I just wanted to forward the doubt of using milk thistle, particularly if you would have gene defects of importance in Phase I ( the SNP´s named as CYP in e.g. a detox panel) . FWIW. I am sure you will find out if milk thistle is beneficial for you or not.