The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Glutamine versus Glutamate

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by bdonovan, May 30, 2017.

1. bdonovan

bdonovan

A bit of confusion on this one. I had been ramping up the amount of glutamine from None to 10g/day and had been going fine. I was doing so because glutamine helps against leaky gut; repairs the gut's mucosal lining. I have had bad SIBO symptoms; and although anti-biotics and anti-parasitic got rid of it, I want to make sure it doesn't come back and strengthen my gut, as leaky gut may be a root cause or at least a key contributor to SIBO.

However, I then met with a nutritionist who told me that Glutamine was related to Glutamate and Glutamate caused problems for CFS patients. She told me to stop taking Glutamine which I did. I've noticed a decline in energy (though not sure if it's related to that specifically); my dyspnea (stomach discomfort) has been similar, maybe a tad bit worse since stopping it. It's been about a week and I'm wondering what I should do.

I know people's reactions to glutamine are all over the map; some get benefit, some get worse. My reaction so far seems to have been positive. I would have thought that if it was negative, I would have felt it by now. Anyhow- provided that I'm one of the people who responds positively to glutamine- should I get back on it or should I heed the concern that long-term there may be more glutamate in my system, which may worsen my CFS?

Thanks.

2. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Cornwall, UK
    As you say, people have a range of reactions to glutamine. There are a lot of threads on it, for example this lot:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?search/43468101/&q=glutamine&o=date&c[title_only]=1

I am currently taking it about once or twice a week - very cautiously. Not sure whether it's good or not...

bdonovan likes this.
  3. Thinktank

Thinktank Senior Member

Europe
    Not everyone goes berzerk on glutamate. If high glutamate is a concern, then why not add some cofactors to have it help build more glutathione? If l-glutamine is positively adding to your health then i personally see no reason to stop taking it.

bdonovan, Valentijn and MastBCrazy like this.

See more popular forum discussions.