1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Lessons from ME/CFS: Finding Meaning in the Suffering
If you're aware of my previous articles here at Phoenix Rising then it's pretty clear that I don't generally spend my time musing upon the philosophy of the disease. I find it better to spend my time reading research and trying my best to break it down to its core elements and write...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Glutamine possibly wreaking havoc and dealing with leaky gut

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by Misfit Toy, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Senior Member

I had to stop the fentanyl patch last night as it was drugging me to no end. I took it off and last night the pain came back full force, but on top of that...my stomach went nuts. I woke up with diarheah (again spelling) and I realized....I can't take the aloe. I take it before bed and it messes up my GI tract, or maybe because the GI tract is so messed up, whatever I take I react to.

The GI tract is again going bonkers. The biggest thing I feel aside from sick everywhere, pain, etc is unstable. I feel like my mind is going nuts. I stopped all supplements, but my mind is still nuts. Major inflammation. I took Tagamet and my mind got worse.

I have such acid right now. A friend took me to a chiropractor today. She definitely feels the stomach is my main issue, even with my knee because I have so much inflammation throughout.

Thanks MeSci. I think about death and want it, but I am seriously hoping that this passes.
  2. rosie26

rosie26 Senior Member

NZ
    Hang in there Misfit Toy x . I had a lot of that feeling like I was going nuts in the mind. Major inflammation can release chemicals from my own non doctor experience and some tablets can cause that affect in the mind and throughout the body. Rest a lot. Hope others able to give you help to get through this.
    Thinking of you. xxx
  3. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    I hesitate to suggest trying/adding another supplement, but although this doesn't seem to be included in most/any leaky gut protocols I have seen, I wonder whether sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) might help reduce your acidity. I have been taking it daily for over a year, and it seems to benefit me. I tried stopping it on one occasion this year when my gut worsened, but it got even worse, and improved again when I restarted. I ignore the advice below about consulting the doctor as my doctors are so clueless, but you may want to speak to yours. They may be better where you are than where I am!

I have not had any adverse effects.

Someone on one of the forums said that a way to tell whether sodium bicarbonate is suitable for you is whether you belch after taking it. I don't know whether it's correct, but I certainly belch!

Here's some info I saved when I was working out how much to take:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/drug-information/DR601241/DSECTION=proper-use

Dosing

The dose of this medicine will be different for different patients. Follow your doctor's orders or the directions on the label. The following information includes only the average doses of this medicine. If your dose is different, do not change it unless your doctor tells you to do so.

The amount of medicine that you take depends on the strength of the medicine. Also, the number of doses you take each day, the time allowed between doses, and the length of time you take the medicine depend on the medical problem for which you are using the medicine.

For sodium bicarbonate powder:

To relieve heartburn or sour stomach:
    Adults and teenagers—One-half teaspoonful in a glass of water every two hours. Your doctor may change the dose if needed.
    Children—Dose must be determined by your doctor.
    To make the urine more alkaline (less acidic):
    Adults and teenagers—One teaspoonful in a glass of water every four hours. Your doctor may change the dose if needed. However, the dose is usually not more than 4 teaspoonfuls a day.

from http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a682001.html

If you are using sodium bicarbonate as an antacid, it should be taken 1 to 2 hours after meals, with a full glass of water. If you are using sodium bicarbonate for another reason, it may be taken with or without food. Do not take sodium bicarbonate on an overly full stomach.

Do not use sodium bicarbonate for longer than 2 weeks unless your doctor tells you to.

tell your doctor and pharmacist what prescription and nonprescription medications you are taking, especially other antacids, aspirin or aspirin-like medicines, benzodiazepines, flecainide (Tambocor), iron, ketoconazole (Nizoral), lithium (Eskalith, Lithobid), methenamine (Hiprex, Urex), methotrexate, quinidine, sulfa-containing antibiotics, tetracycline (Sumycin), or vitamins. Take sodium bicarbonate at least 2 hours apart from other medicines.
    tell your doctor if you have or have ever had high blood pressure, congestive heart failure, or kidney disease or if you have recently had bleeding in your stomach or intestine.

Sodium bicarbonate may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:

increased thirst
    stomach cramps
    gas

If you have any of the following symptoms, stop taking sodium bicarbonate and call your doctor immediately:

severe headache
    nausea
    vomit that resembles coffee grounds
    loss of appetite
    irritability
    weakness
    frequent urge to urinate
    slow breathing
    swelling of feet or lower legs
    bloody, black, or tarry stools
    blood in your urine
  4. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Senior Member

MeSci, thank you. I have wondered about taking it. Even with tagamet and prilosec yesterday, the burning was nuts. I wonder, do I have too much acid, or too little acid? At this point, I am not sure. I was so nauseauos last night that I wasn't sure if I would sleep. I took charcoal and bentonite clay and went to sleep.

So, at this point, I am so confused as to whether this acid is like I said, too much, or too little. I can take the baking soda in capsules. Whatever is going on is making me so tired. I guess so considering that I have not slept for nights, been in horrible pain and am now an anxious mess with my stomach going nuts. I barely ate yesterday.

Here's to another day. We shall see what happens next.

thanks, by the way.
    MeSci likes this.
  5. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    You're welcome. I'm looking forward to hearing that you are feeling better! :)
    rosie26 likes this.
  6. EvanB.

EvanB.

Sorry for all you are going through. You might try replacing the glutamine with colostrum. Ever tried mastic gum for the stomach issues?
  7. jammies

jammies

I think when it comes to gut healing, what you DON'T eat is as important as what you do eat. I follow the autoimmune paleo diet which means I don't eat grains, legumes, industrial oils, dairy, nuts, eggs, nightshades, or coffee. It sounds crazy overwhelming, and it can be at first. But my guts were a complete and total disaster before I started. I had to be very strict in the beginning but as I heal it gets more flexible. Most people add the foods back one at a time after about a month to see what they can keep in and what has to go.

Is it possible for you to go see someone about your depression and anxiety? I have had both and it is so hard to start something new and focus in on a plan when your brain on fire.
  8. JPV

JPV Senior Member

I can't really vouch for the validity of this information but it seems like something that might be pertinent to the current discussion...

9. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    Too sleepy to take all of that in right now, but I recalled that research had found low ornithine in ME/CFS, so had a look in the ME Research UK database.

Here is the abstract of the paper I was thinking of, which also refers to glutamine.
  10. Leopardtail

Leopardtail Senior Member

England
    that is one very interesting paper, thanks....
    the results are the polar opposite of mine (high ornithine & glutamine), but I also have high adrenaline & cortisol...

See more popular forum discussions.